Saxophone Forum

by bjroosevelt
(47 posts)
6 years ago

Mark VII Mouthpiece Recommendation Request

I just picked up a 1976 Selmer Paris Mark VII as an upgrade from my student horn.  I am an intermediate player.  Am looking for some thoughts on the mouthpiece.  I bought the horn because of the very fast action on the fingering and my ability to play in tune consistently/easily throughout the range of music I play.

I own an inexpensive Hite Premiere with an open baffle and a 90 tip opening.  It played fine for my old student Conn 16M, however I don't think it is the right mouthpiece fr the Selmer.  I'm looking for recommendations.

Current situation:  When I open up and play loudly, I have a pretty good tone quality on the Mark VII. However, when I play quietly, the sound quality is quite 'airy'.    Would also prefer something that sounds a bit brighter....but mostly I want to get rid of the sound of all of that air.

Thank you.  

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by mijderf
    (282 posts)

6 years ago

Re: Mark VII Mouthpiece Recommendation Request

I think you need to tell us what type of horn you have, ie. alto, tenor, etc before a good recommendation can be made.  Also you should advise how much you are willing to spend on the mouthpiece.  
    Airy tone at low volume can mean that your need to reduce reed strength a bit.

Reply To Post

1. by bjroosevelt
      (47 posts)

6 years ago

Mark VII is a Tenor. 

Budget is $200 or under.  Of course I would prefer for it to be closer to $100.  Who wouldn't?
      Don't need Jazz right now.  Would appreciate any thoughts you have.

Trying out a softer reed is pretty easy.  Was thinking that this wasn't the problem because my Vintage Conn on current mouthpiece didn't have the issue.....but it makes sense that every horn amplifies different frequencies of sound differently. 

Reply To Post

2. by bjroosevelt
      (47 posts)

6 years ago

Also.  forgot to mention.  I will try bumping down from a Vandoren 2.5 to a Rico Orange 2.5  reed .(have some at the house)

Reply To Post

1. by mijderf
        (282 posts)

6 years ago

I would recommend checking out the mouthpiece reviews and sound clips on  www.neffmusic.com.  You can get a relative idea of sound bias (dark/bright) from these.  Note I said relative because so much of sound depends on the player himself.
        Some sub $200 mouthpieces you might want to check out are:
        D'addario Select Jazz
        GW slant (Greg Wier he sells this on Ebay)
        Phil-Tone JZ

Finally this site has a new Macsax Aura (metal powder bonded 3-D piece) that a lot of people seem to like, and it is sub $100.  Didn't find a sound clip on this one.

Good luck! 

Reply To Post