Saxophone Forum

by 1jadite
(2 posts)
19 years ago

New to the sax

I'm pretty excited... as a clarinet player I am now awaiting the arrival of my first soprano sax. I play with a small band and usually play the tenor parts with the sax section if there is not an official clarinet part. This alto sax should really help us fill in the sound. Any advice for me? What reeds are best? Are they sold like the clarinet (2, 2.5, 3, 3.5)? Does the ligature affect the sound a great deal as it does with the clarinet?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by rhino2104
    (15 posts)

19 years ago

Re: New to the sax

First question, is it an alto or soprano? As far as reed strength, it depends on the brand, Vandorens are sold 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5, etc. but there are some that are sold as soft, med. soft, med, etc. etc. etc. The ligature does effect the sound greatly just like in clarinet. Usefull tip, if you are playing soprano, a clarinet reed will fit the mouth piece if need be. They are just a little longer.

Reply To Post

1. by 1jadite
      (2 posts)

19 years ago

Sorry, my first post was confusing. It is a soprano sax. I have plenty of clarinet reeds. Is it standard to use them in a soprano sax or would I be better off to get some sax reeds?

Reply To Post

1. by rhino2104
        (15 posts)

19 years ago

You would be better off getting the sax reeds because they are cut the right length for the mouthpiece, but to figure out that reed strength you need you may want to test run one of your clarinet reeds first.

Reply To Post