Saxophone Forum

by freshjewbagel
(1 post)
19 years ago

HELP, I cannot identify an old CONN tenor

I'm trying to determine the value of a vintage tenor saxophone that has been stored in my father's attic for some time. The only identifying marks on it are : PATD DEC 8 1914, 1119954, T, 39792, L. If anybody can contribute any information as to the value or simply the model or anything, please let me know

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Bleeding_Gums_Murphy
    (55 posts)

19 years ago

Re: HELP, I cannot identify an old CONN tenor

I think it's one of the early conn models made before the new wonder. It's probably not worth much, as they're very common and they don't play as well as the other conns (from what i've heard).

Reply To Post

1. by definition
      (963 posts)

19 years ago

With the 1914 patent date on it, it could well be a new wonder series 1. the worchester, wonder, and new invention models all came before that pastent date i believe, except maybe a few of the first wonder series horns(not to be confused with NEW Wonder series 1 or 2)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Dave Dix
        (421 posts)

19 years ago

Its most prob a wonder series from 1916. New wonder started in 1917 from 41000. Dave

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

It could be one of three different models. Let me ask you a few more questions and hopefully we can figure it out. The serial number dates it to late 1916. The Wonder series horns were made from 1895-1916. Wonder models did not have pearl key touches. Does your horn have pearl key touches? The patent number you mentioned is the patent number for rolled tone holes. Rolled tone holes were first introduced around 1916. The New Invention models were some of the first to have the rolled tone holes. You said the horn didn't have any elaborate engraving? I'm assuming it's also silver plate? The New Invention models were mostly gold, with very elaborate engraving. I doubt that it's a New Invention. My guess is that it is an early New Wonder Series I model. I have one. Mine is a 1922. The intonation is decent. Like my 10M, the intonation is a little fussy when it comes to mouthpieces. The upper octave sounds a little stuffy on some notes, and certain keys like G and A tend to buzz a little bit. They're a good sax for blues. Does yours have a union stamp on it? It's late enough, it probably doesn't. They stopped doing that in 1916 sometime. I'm not sure the exact number. As far as value, they're not particularly valuable; just a neat old relic that guys like me love to just play around with. I restored mine just to play occasionally at backyard BBQ,s and the occasional show. If the horn needs a lot of work, I would make a wall piece out of it, or what I did with one of my older horns; I made a stand to set it in that is a lamp. I didn't drill into the horn or damage it so that if I ever wanted to restore the horn or use it for parts, I could. Actually, The lamp stand is pretty cool, because I can display other horns in it too.

Reply To Post Yahoo!