Saxophone Forum

by tee196
(31 posts)
19 years ago

Im going to start to play in church but i need help plz plz help!!!

alright, ive decided to start playing clarinet and tenor sax in church, however there is one problem with this, everyone on the music team plays in chords, that could pose a problem for me, ive recently gotten a fakebook unfortunatelly i could only find one in the key of C so i need to transpose it all into Bb-- any clue on how to do that just go up a scale right, and bring all the notes up a step?? I think, but for the songs I dont have music to what do i do??? I dont think they know what scales they play in, i asked, hes like oh we play be chords, so any clue on what to do?? I know how to improv, not very good at it yet though, but how would i do that just knowing chords. PLEASE PLEASE HELP!! First practice is tuesday. Thank You -Tee196

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Sonny_Rollins
    (18 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Im going to start to play in church but i need help plz plz help!!!

I just talked to Jesus and he doesn't want you playing in his house.

Reply To Post

2. by afterglows_fanson
    (18 posts)

19 years ago

Church worship teams. Fun. I play guitar for our church's youth one. So, heres how transposition works. If they are playing in the key of Bb then you are playing in (tenor is a C instrument correct) a half step above them in C. So you would transpose all of the music, including the chords, up a half step... It usually helps if you know all of your scales and how to form chords. Email me if you need more help with this. [email protected]

Reply To Post

1. by Saxon
      (100 posts)

19 years ago

Sounds like your on the right track. Just wanted to say blessings on your practice and don't feel you have to play every note! Less is more. The sax sounds so nice that just a little goes a long way. I have a transposing chart I could email to you if you want?

Reply To Post

1. by rob07
        (38 posts)

19 years ago

If its not much trouble could you email me one too. Thankx

Reply To Post

1. by Saxon
          (100 posts)

19 years ago

I found the transposing chart helpful because you don't usually get much warning on sunday morning with 200 people watching and my head can't cope with the maths. How about I give you my email and anyone who wants a copy can send me an email with subject line "Transposing chart" I'll be happy to send one! send to , [email protected]

Reply To Post

2. by afterglows_fanson
          (18 posts)

19 years ago

Haha... our pastor likes to pick a random song from the catalogue occassionally. When the youth team plays, which I'm in, we have to warn him to try not to do that because we havent memorized the catalogue yet. lol.

Reply To Post

2. by saxitup
        (49 posts)

19 years ago

I play sop, alto, and tenor in our choirs. Saxon is correct in saying less is more. Don't try to play the melody along with the choir. Harmonize when you can. Focus on the intros and endings of the selections.

Reply To Post

1. by jbroad572
          (46 posts)

19 years ago

Glad to hear you are going to play in the church. I play tenor and soprano in my praise and worship team. Like most said, don't force anything. I find I sound and play my best when we play a slower song, because the fills sound excellent with the soprano. However on faster songs, with just a soprano sax I tend to not know exactly what to play. If we had a horn section it'd be different. Here's a transposing chart for you to look at as well... www.saxontheweb.net/Transposition.html What I have started to do, is just follow the chord progressions and pick different notes from each chord. You may not want to get fancy and busy while the singers are playing, but when there is a gap that's where you can place the fills. You really just kind of have to get a fill for where you fit in. Hope that helps a little. Oh yea, I hated F# (concert E), but I have gotten used to it. Learn your scales and be ready for the different keys. Also, when I don't have extra music, I just find out what key we are in and just try to play by ear.

Reply To Post

2. by jbroad572
          (46 posts)

19 years ago

Glad to hear you are going to play in the church. I play tenor and soprano in my praise and worship team. Like most said, don't force anything. I find I sound and play my best when we play a slower song, because the fills sound excellent with the soprano. However on faster songs, with just a soprano sax I tend to not know exactly what to play. If we had a horn section it'd be different. Here's a transposing chart for you to look at as well... www.saxontheweb.net/Transposition.html What I have started to do, is just follow the chord progressions and pick different notes from each chord. You may not want to get fancy and busy while the singers are playing, but when there is a gap that's where you can place the fills. You really just kind of have to get a fill for where you fit in. Hope that helps a little. Oh yea, I hated F# (concert E), but I have gotten used to it. Learn your scales and be ready for the different keys. Also, when I don't have extra music, I just find out what key we are in and just try to play by ear.

Reply To Post

1. by tee196
            (31 posts)

19 years ago

Thank You everyone i really appreciate it. I have just started to learn to follow the chords and improv with those thanks everyone. also though can someone explain to me what happens when there is a minor?? Thank you all very much again- Tee196

Reply To Post

1. by jbroad572
              (46 posts)

19 years ago

When there is a minor depending on what the chord is let's say... F#7 would consist of F#, A#, C#, and E# (F), while F#m7, the chord would consist of F#, A, C#, E. So, take your pick when you play. When switching chords, it's been said that the notes that sound best are the 3rd and the 7th of the next chord. I haven't really tested that out much, but will hopefully if it comes to mind at rehearsal. .

Reply To Post

2. by jbroad572
              (46 posts)

19 years ago

Oh yea... as far as "what happens". It depends on what key you are in. If youa re familiar with modes of a major scale, then if you are in the key of C major and you are playing the 2nd mode of Cmajor, which is Dmi, it just means you are playing the Cmajor scale starting the second note of the C major scale. Since there are no sharps in the C major scale, that makes the D a minor, since there is no F# or C#. The second scale degree of a chord is called the Dorian mode. So, you would be able to pick your notes from the D Dorian scale. Make sense?

Reply To Post

3. by Saxon
              (100 posts)

19 years ago

Sorry, I play alto! For me if it's Em (very common) I play E If it's Dm, I play D Blah Blah

Reply To Post

4. by tee196
              (31 posts)

19 years ago

Thank You Everyone and God Bless all have fun playing in your churches, feel free to email me if you would like to talk more. Tee196

Reply To Post

5. by saxnforjesus
              (5 posts)

19 years ago

Glad to hear about you playing in church. I have been playing for 30 yrs in churches all over this country. Been encouraged that God will use you for His glory. My best to you!

Reply To Post