Saxophone Forum

by afroman
(2 posts)
6 years ago

Upgrade mouthpiece of Jupiter tenor sax

Hello everyone, new here so be gentle.. :)

I have a tenor jupiter saxophone medium range cose (€1500~). I bought it 4 years ago to
use it in a philharmonic band, but am not play in the band any more. Now i am using it for for soloing on rock/jazz jumming, small gigs with friends and live performance occasionally.

When I bought it, I get a ligature also, so am not using the one came with the instrument, but I kept the mouthpiece (C4)since I did nt have any issues with it. Is been 4 years now and even I dont have any issues I would like to upgrade my mouthpiece to something better...I prefer my sound a bit dark and deep and a bright tone on high register when am playing loud..I aming to get a mouthpiece with smoother, warmer low notes since low notes are not very good on my current one..

So I try Selmer S80 C*, found it very nice warm middle and low notes but terrible high notes, and out of tune moving from one register to the other, I have try Vandoren T27 v5, and found it similar to my stock one but not any better. Lastly I have try the Vavdoren T45 Java which was a bit better from mine on low register but worst on high.. :)

So the question is what to look for regarding mouthtips, chambers etc in order to get a better mouthpiece of my stock one? What is C4 comparng to Selmer C*  to start understant what i need to look for?

Do you have any recomendations on what I should try? 

Sorry for the long post, but am lost more and more avery time I google :)

I will appreciate any feedback/comments you may have regarding my question!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by bjroosevelt
    (47 posts)

6 years ago

Re: Upgrade mouthpiece of Jupiter tenor sax

Yes,  Definitely agree with you.  The right set up for a Philharmonic is not the right set up for rock/jazz.  Don’t know the Jupiter horn, but I would recommend looking for a medium baffle and a larger tip opening than what you have.  (If you want really bright, go to a high baffle.....but you will lose all of your darkness/richness).   I just got a D’addario D8M Jazz Select Mpc and am very happy with how it has changed my horn from classical sounding to Jazz.  

You’re gonna have a much bigger tip opening with any of the D’Addario Select Jazz mouthpieces so I recommend investing in some softer reeds, at least for a while.  Mouthpiece cost is about US $200.  Box of reeds is US $25.  Not sure of the price in Europe.

www.neffmusic.com has a lot of reviews of mouthpieces.  I found it quite helpful.

Reply To Post

1. by afroman
      (2 posts)

6 years ago

Hi bjroosevelt, and thanks for the reply..I will definetely have a look on D' Addario MPC's.. number at the end is about the tip opening or the baffle? ex D'Addario Woodwinds Select Jazz Tenor 8..And how is baffle mesaured? What I should look for to be considered medium baffle?

BTW i started using Ricco royal 3, but nowadays am using 2.5 Vandoren Jazz or rico royal

Again thanks for your help

Reply To Post

1. by mijderf
        (282 posts)

6 years ago

Per the reply by bjroosevelt, check out the Steve Neff mouthpiece review site:
        http://www.neffmusic.com/blog/mouthpiece-review-list/
        He categorizes the baffle height and type for each piece he reviews.  However, do not get too caught up in baffle height, because it is only one part of the story.

Per your questions above, the 8 (0.110" tip) is the mouthpiece tip opening size, and there are no markings for baffles in the D'Addario Select Jazz tenor mouthpieces.  The baffle is what it is, and will not be customized since this is a large production volume consumer piece.

Another tenor piece at a comparable price is the Phil-Tone JZ tenor piece:
        http://www.neffmusic.com/blog/2016/11/phil-tone-jz-series-tenor-saxophone-mouthpiece-review/

I recommend listening to these mouthpieces in the sample clips he plays as part of each review that he performs.  You are much better off listening to these clips, than trying to figure out what is best for you based on price, reputation, tip and bafffle dimensions/types. 

Reply To Post

2. by bjroosevelt
        (47 posts)

6 years ago

I’m not sure what reed works best for you. Everyone is different. Rico Royal 2.5 is plenty soft for me on a 110 tip opening. 
        I had been playing a Vandoren 2.5 on my old mpc but it was too hard.  I’m working back up to it.  I don’t know the relative hardness of the Vandoren Jazz Series.

Reply To Post