Saxophone Forum

by Selmer Lover
(21 posts)
19 years ago

Mystery Horn???????

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about this horn. This is exactly what is on the bell."American Standard High Grade Made by Clev, D. Mus. Ins. Co." Someone gave it to me and all the pads are shot so I don't know what it sounds like. If anyone has any info about this horn or what it sounds like it would be very helpfull. I'm trying to find out if it is worth it to have it repaired.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Mystery Horn???????

I think it's a King Vol-True Stencil. Go to www.saxpics.com and look at a King and see if it looks similar. They were pretty good horns

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by Selmer Lover
      (21 posts)

19 years ago

That's It!!!!!!!!!!!! How'd ya know it was a king? Do you think this horn is worth fixing up? The main horn that I play now is a 67 MarkVI alto. I love it for all the jazz I play but what would you suggest I use this King for?

Reply To Post

1. by Selmer Lover
        (21 posts)

19 years ago

I was also wondering what year this horn was made. The Ser. Number is 934. and that's it. Thanks much!

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I've been around a while, and I have played a few different horns. Of course, it's made in Cleveland which leaves little doubt that it's a King. I'm guessing that it was made in the early 1930's. I don't believe that serial number coincides with Kings list of serial numbers. Most companies used a different series for stencil horns and most serial number lists for stencils are impossible to find. I will see what I can dig up. The Kings were pretty good horns. I have Zephyr baritone and a King Super 20 tenor that are among my favorite horns. They are built very well, and play very well. I like the sound of my Super 20 tenor better than my Selmer Mark VI tenor for jazz and blues. The have a very full, bright sound. Although not worth as much as your Mark VI in terms of value, they are a joy to play, have a great tone, good intonation and a fairly good action for an older horn. I would say that it would be worth the cost of a repad and a little restoration. Definately

Reply To Post Yahoo!