Saxophone Forum

by aravaioli
(24 posts)
19 years ago

Your opinions among these Tenors

After having found a great sounding modern tenor saxophone in mt B&S 2001, I am now in the process of selecting a vintage one to diversify my collection. Having checked the most reputable online sellers, I have narrowed down my selection to the following (most expensive first): 1. Buescher Aristocrat "Big-B" 2. Couf Superba I or II 3. Buescher Super 400 4. The Martin Tenor I need your advises because I am not too familiar with vintage saxophones other than the Mark VI or Conn 10M which are far too expensive for my budget of 2000$ max. How would you compare in general terms their sound? Can you compare the tone and playability of those to any modern tenor? I am in search of a very warm and mellow tone, it doesn't have to shake walls for my tastes and has to be suited for jazz playing only, given that I am not planning to play R&B, Blues or contemporary music. I made some research and I am currently leaning towards The Martin tenor. Your input is greatly appreciated.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by kneejerk52
    (397 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Your opinions among these Tenors

my first tenor was a martin my teacher sold me. many years ago but i do remember it was good. unfortunately it was stolen from the place we practiced at and never recovered.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Any one of those you mentioned are great horns. I would also suggest a King Zephyr of 613. The Big B is the deluxe of the Aristocrat series Buescher. They have a great sound for blues and funk. They sound similar to a 10M only slightly darker/warmer.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by aravaioli
        (24 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks guys, I ended up purchasing a Martin "The Music Man" tenor. Looks as it is a very rare The Martin Committee version, if I won't be thoroughly impressed perhaps I'll sell it on Ebay without too much loss.

Reply To Post