Saxophone Forum

by Christill1
(4 posts)
6 years ago

How to Sell Two Selmer Mark VI Saxophones?

I recently acquired two Selmer Mark VI saxophones, a 1958 tenor and a 1960 alto. Though I am a professional online vintage instrument dealer, as they are each worth $5k-$10k or so (broadly speaking), I am loath to sell them on eBay. Nor do I want to wholesale them to a store. I'm wondering about placing them with a big auction company like Christie's or Sotheby's. My question is: Can anyone recommend an appropriate auction company?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Jafrowhite
    (1 post)

4 years ago

Re: How to Sell Two Selmer Mark VI Saxophones?

Emilio can. you can try talk to robertos winds.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

2. by GFC
    (842 posts)

6 years ago

What's wrong with eBay?

Reply To Post

1. by Christill1
      (4 posts)

6 years ago

I love eBay. It's just that I've never sold something that expensive online before. One rule of thumb as an online seller is not to sell something that one is not willing to lose. I don't mind selling instruments up to maybe a couple or three thousand dollars online because, to be candid, if I lose it, I can basically absorb the loss. These saxes are in a different category for me. 

Reply To Post

1. by GFC
        (842 posts)

6 years ago

I guess that would come under the "eBay is seller unfriendly" heading of complaints, in which you have some prominent company.  

My initial reaction to your mention of Christie's and Sotheby's was that it would be a sure-fire way to put those horns in the hands of rich collectors and dillettantes, which rubs me the wrong way.  But then I can't argue with somebody trying to make a living maximizing their return on a rare opportunity and I'm not convinced that the monetary value of VIes reflects their actual value from a playing standpoint.  

Maybe advertising through media or organizations directed at the professional musicians' market would be a good way to go, and you could stipulate your own terms of service to protect yourself from loss.

Reply To Post

1. by Christill1
          (4 posts)

6 years ago

I love eBay and really have no complaints about it. For a small potatoes guy like me, though, selling an very valuable instrument online might not be the best route. All that said... I decided to put the Mark VI alto on eBay and see how it goes. I really apprecaite your tips though.

Reply To Post

2. by historicsaxwhisperer
        (644 posts)

6 years ago

I myself live in an area where a larger number of professional musicians teach on a college level and a number of students looking for horns is somewhat large. Contacting instructors as to what you have for sale can often lead to a sdtudent who is diligently looking for exactly what you have. This is always a wonderful situation when a player comes to you and loves what you have.

I have used Ebay a number of times for larger priced items. It is always troubling till the funds finally clear and everone is happy. If its priced to sell, Ebay will do you right.

Finally you have Tenor Madness, Saxquest, PM winds, and USA Horn. They ALWAYS have inventory. They will give you a fair price to unload it to them, but they have to make a profit also. So a horn will sit on their shelves till someone finds the exact horn they want and pay that overpriced retail for it. Thr Mark VI is legendary, but there are a large number of honrs out there just as good and priced lower than the Legend.

Reply To Post

1. by Christill1
          (4 posts)

6 years ago

Those are some great tips. In the end, as I kind of have too much going on right now, I went the easy route and put the Mark VI alto on eBay. I do appreciate your tiops. 

Reply To Post

1. by Saxquest
            (420 posts)

6 years ago

If you don't get your asking price on eBay give us a call over at Saxquest. We do consignment sales for folks and only charge 10% of the selling price. This is less than eBay in the end when you figure eBay fees and PayPal fees and much less of a hastle as we take care of all questions and possible returns. We attract serious buyers from all over the globe. Best of Luck and let us know if we can help.

Cheers,
                 Mark Overton
                 www.saxquest.com 

Reply To Post

2. by bjroosevelt
          (47 posts)

6 years ago

How are you going to sell a $10,000 instrument on eBay?  Like, I know they will take your posting fee, but who would buy it?  The first thing i did when buying my last sax was to go to PM Woodwinds and play a bunch of them.  

I think that SaxQuest is right.  Sell it at their place on consignment. 10% fee is a bargain for having a sales organization that has connections with people who can afford top dollar. I can’t imagine anyone paying top dollar for a vintage horn they have never played.....and my sax budget is really big.

I have a 1953 SBA I am planning to sell. Because I don’t have any time, I wouldn’t consider selling it any way other than a premiere sax shop like SaxQuest ...  St. Louis - home of the Blues! 

Good luck! 

Reply To Post