Saxophone Forum

by OklahomanSax
(18 posts)
19 years ago

help on alto meyer mouthpiece

hey everybody, If I play on a otto link 7 super tone master on tenor sax, what size alto meyer piece do you think would be good? thanks

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Roccosm
    (113 posts)

18 years ago

Re: help on alto meyer mouthpiece

I have to agree on the Meyer M5 as well, I recently tryed a Fiber cell reed from WWBW and to My amazement I loved it , I use rico royal 2/12 and try to find 5 or 6 that I like, but this Fiber cell in on every time. try one?

Reply To Post

1. by Roccosm
      (113 posts)

14 years ago

I have found the Pillinger LA Hard Rubber alto MP play's as well as any New York USA Meyer I have had . And I have had many. I play the Pillinger with out any feeling of compromising sound quality. It is a great MP for 1/3 the price of a Vintage NY Meyer.

Reply To Post

2. by dontmeswithjes416
    (1 post)

14 years ago

I have a Meyer 5m mouthpiece... but i was wondering what kind or reed works best with it

Reply To Post

3. by saxjunkie89
    (393 posts)

19 years ago

Meyer Hard Rubber 5 facing. Works great for me, with Rico Jazz Select reeds 3 strength reeds, but ordered BG France Super Revelation Lig. to try over my current stocked w/ the Meyer mpc lig. Hope this helps!

Reply To Post

1. by saxjunkie89
      (393 posts)

19 years ago

by the way, this is on a student alto, a Conn 24MHF alto. The setup I'm currently using works great in both low and high registers!

Reply To Post

1. by gottydot
        (41 posts)

19 years ago

Hey. I use a Conn alto sax with a meyer 5 mouthpiece too! Except my conn is a shooting star. I have no clue where to find jazz select reeds. I asked the music store near me, and they had no clue what i was talking about!

Reply To Post

1. by saxjunkie89
          (393 posts)

19 years ago

go to www.wwbw.com , go to alto sax, go to reeds, shop by brand by clicking on RICO and find them Hope it helps!

Reply To Post

2. by saxjunkie89
          (393 posts)

19 years ago

oh, and i'm planning on trying to get a Selmer LaVoix Silver Plated Alto for indoor performances, and use my Conn for the marching season and other outdoor performances, so I'll keep you posted

Reply To Post

3. by jamterry
          (573 posts)

19 years ago

Don't put a rico reed on any mouthpiece. That is like buying an ice cream sundae and putting a handful of dirt on it. I have two meyer 5's. They are very nice on an alto. Best of luck to you :).

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

4. by kneejerk52
          (397 posts)

19 years ago

i use a vintage meyer on my 62 vito alto, the java 2 1/2 and helmke work fine on it with a dark rovner.

Reply To Post

5. by OklahomanSax
          (18 posts)

19 years ago

thanks for your help, I will defienatly check out a meyer 5m. thanks again.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

6. by SaxMan88
          (318 posts)

19 years ago

Junkie, Let me kno what ya think of that LaVoix silver, I got a LaVoix tenor (lacquer) and I love it!!

Reply To Post

7. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

14 years ago

Oklahoma Sax, I too was raised in a little town in Oklahoma!! There are better places to be for a jazz musician, but I learned things there that couldn't be learned in NYC!! Small town America didn't stop me from being a fairly successful musician. (Google Barry Kelsey) The mouthpiece you have is probably better than the newer Meyers. The old Meyers are great and very expensive, if you can get someone to part with one. If I were you I'd try Jody Jazz hard rubber pieces. Good luck in you Quest.......Kelsey
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

8. by jazzcat522
          (21 posts)

14 years ago

if you are refering to the meyer 5m that are sold now and the vintage meyer 5m they both sound different and frankly the meyer sound you might be after will not be found in the modern made meyer's. However i recently bought a mouthpiece that is based on the vintage Meyer 5m at www.kesslermusic.com/html/mps/altomps.htm their description: "New York Short Shank - NYSS This model is our best seller. Using the earliest Meyer Bros tip opening (roughly .079"), the original 5M is more equivalent to a modern day 7 tip. Using a small roll-over baffle design and a "Vintage Medium Chamber", our NYSS mouthpiece produces are rich tone with great projection, power and sweetness not found in many modern mouthpieces." now i just want to make it clear that i have not have a vintage meyer 5m. But i did like many buy a modern made meyer 5m in hopes to get that nice vintage sound and to my surprise the newly made meyer's sound nothing like the vintage that i would hear in records and other people play. After reading a few reviews i decided to give it a try. When i got it i was amazed at how warm and round and sweet my sound came out it definitely recreated the sound i heard in records or atleast a sound that represents the era accurately to my ears. Now, i want to also add that recently i was at a gig where the we had a guest (well known sax player in houston) known for his sound(he uses a vintage meyer 5m and a markVI) his sound was beautiful and everybody loved listening to him. I had to solo after him and to my surprise many people complemented me on my sound claiming that it sounded almost identical. My point is this, while i have not tried or played on a authentic vintage meyer i believe (and so have others) that this mp sounds pretty darn close! at $134.95 its worth a try. jazz cat

Reply To Post