Saxophone Forum

by RoYrOy
(51 posts)
19 years ago

Discussing Practice Routines

I've been playing saxophone a year, and I practice about 4 hours a day, but I'm so inconsistent as to what I practice and how I practice it! I know that there are many ways to practice but I just don't know which to stick to? Any suggestions? What do you do? Many times I just play for hours on end. And recently I've been very frustrated because my solos I'm continuously using slurring my notes and I want to practice so that I can separate them instead of just blowing air and letting my fingers do the work. Help!!!!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by jazzfool132
    (144 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Discussing Practice Routines

You practice for 4 hours each and every day? What do you practice and do you have any other experience with other instruments?

Reply To Post

1. by RoYrOy
      (51 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Discussing Practice Routines

Well as to what I practice, I put alot of enfasis on scales, in 2nds 3rds 4ths etc. I work about an hour a day on long tones, and the rest of the time I learn using the real book. I mean you take a song, and you learn to sight read, play arpeggios, solo, etc. That's about all I do, my dicipline has been very bad lately so I start out a practice routine and then in a while I get bored and just start playing around. I mean I know that hitting the shed and practicing technique is vital but personally it's just so boring.

Reply To Post