Saxophone Forum

by Archiorg
(1 post)
6 years ago

B flat can't reach

Hi guys, I recently bought Startone SAS-75 saxophone. I have been playing clarinet for almost 15 years. I basically learned to get the tone on sax in couple of days. My major problem is now that there is no way for me to reach with my left pinky B flat key. I compared my saxophone to other manufacturers, on YouTube videos, and I noticed on other saxophones that bundle of left pinky keys are closer to ring finger.

Is there any way to sort this out?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
    (644 posts)

6 years ago

Re: B flat can't reach

Your hand position must be incorrect.

The easiest way is to research it on line.

You need to have your hand in a more horizontal  to the floor position and then practice in front of a mirror.

Or try a different horn. Go to a music shop and try one out.

I have never heard of your particular horn so it may simply be made badly.

Good Luck

Reply To Post

2. by bjroosevelt
    (47 posts)

6 years ago

Hi,
    I have small hands for a male musician and I have similar problems with the b-flat key.  Every saxophone I have tried has different challenges.  I’ve figured it out on my Selmer Mark 7.  On this horn it has taken me quite some time to learn how to hit the b-flat portion of the key cluster, without ’rubbing up’ against any other keys.....and an inadvertent touch will open something up you don’t want, thus making the b-flat hard to get out.  In addition, my horn needed some adjusting to make sure all of the mechanics on the bell were operating perfectly.

Interestingly, my old Conn is the easiest to find the b-flat key on, but having small hands on that instrument causes all sorts of other ergonomic problems.

Only other solution i have heard proposed is getting a key riser for that b-flat key so that little finger on your left hand doesn’t have to reach quite as far.  It is amazing what an 1/8” or 1/4” will do.....though I have not needed to resort to this option.

Reply To Post

1. by Yansalis
      (1 post)

6 years ago

I had a similar problem.  The only technical help I found was some of these videos by Eugene Rousseau.  I also read somewhere that it is permissible to push the B flat down by a sideways pressure of the finger on the roller while on the B key.

http://www.eugene-rousseau.com/discussions.html

Until such time as specific music demands a better solution (i.e. with quickly reaching the octave key), I am getting along okay.

Reply To Post

3. by mijderf
    (282 posts)

6 years ago

I too have problems with the modern Bb position because my left pinky finger was dislocated and will not extend full length.  I play vintage horms where Bb is in line horizontally with the C# and B keys.  However, I have also seen some techs bend the left hand G touchpiece down a bit toward the pinky table to reduce the distance slightly.  You might want to run this past a tech and see if it might be a workable solution for you.

Reply To Post

1. by GFC
      (842 posts)

6 years ago

Moving the G keytouch is a very interesting idea for relieving the awkward spread between 3 and 4 with older key tables.

Reply To Post