Saxophone Forum

by Jonathan_sfyee
(15 posts)
19 years ago

Yamaha vs Yanagisawa

Just wanted your feedback on which of the following alto's would you go for and why. Yamaha YAS-62 vs Yanagisawa A-991 Yamaha YAS-82Z vs Yanagisawa A-992(Bronze) THANKS and appreciated.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Yamaha vs Yanagisawa

Both Yamaha and Yanagisawa are great horns. I think the Yamaha is the better value though.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by chiamac
      (586 posts)

19 years ago

what's this "value" thing you speak of? =) "hey, check out my super rare $5000 vintage alto" "dude, mine costed $1000 and sounds pretty close to yours" haha, or something like that.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by Jonathan_sfyee
    (15 posts)

19 years ago

Sorry chiamac about creating what seems to be a "who is better than who" thread. It was not my intension to do so. Here is the situation. I am actually looking for a great alto and have screened my list down to these four horns, but I can't seem to decide on which one to get. From where I come from, it is nearly impossible to get my hands on them to try out before I make a purchase as the dealers here do not have them in the shop for me to try. And hence the thread. I need feedback from those that have tried or owned one. THANKS.

Reply To Post

1. by phathorn
      (165 posts)

19 years ago

If it helps, Jonathan, I have owned a Yamaha 875 alto since 1990. I have yet to play the horn I would give it up for. That being said, Yanis are also superior instruments. The Yamaha is just a horn that fit me from day one. Some horns are like that, ya know?

Reply To Post

2. by yanytenor
      (12 posts)

19 years ago

I have played both a yamaha tenor (sorry not altos) and I own a yany 902 (the bronze one). I think the yany wins hands down - it's better in every respect volume, control, and most importantly sound. The only other to think about is a Selmer (2nd hand) - a friend of mine has just bought one and she says it outstrips even her yany curved sop. Obviously sound is changed by mp but I can't fault my bronze tenor.

Reply To Post

3. by Island991
    (22 posts)

19 years ago

I have played all four horns and i couldnt stop coming back to the 991 everytime. They are all top horns, i narrowed it down to the 82z and 991 when i was trying out new saxes, 82 feeling better than 62. the 991 and 992 are identical apart from bronze body, i prefered sound of 991 (personal preferance). so was left with 991 vs 82z. to my mind the 991 felt more comfortable under the fingers. you really have to try them if you can. but as others have said they are all top horns and if you just bought one on spec i doubt you would be disapointed. (until you tried one of the others down the line when the chance came along and realised it would have suited you better!!) I love my 991 and have never regretted choosing it although ive played other great horns. try, try and try some more!!!

Reply To Post

4. by Island991
    (22 posts)

19 years ago

I have played all four horns and i couldnt stop coming back to the 991 everytime. They are all top horns, i narrowed it down to the 82z and 991 when i was trying out new saxes, 82 feeling better than 62. the 991 and 992 are identical apart from bronze body, i prefered sound of 991 (personal preferance). so was left with 991 vs 82z. to my mind the 991 felt more comfortable under the fingers. you really have to try them if you can. but as others have said they are all top horns and if you just bought one on spec i doubt you would be disapointed. (until you tried one of the others down the line when the chance came along and realised it would have suited you better!!) I love my 991 and have never regretted choosing it although ive played other great horns. try, try and try some more!!!

Reply To Post