Saxophone Forum

by marks11
(5 posts)
6 years ago

cg conn

hi everyone ,this is my first post.....i have a cg conn that i recenetely acquired ,it needs to be cleaned ,rebuilt.completely,new pads the works. has the ivory on it.nice engraving. i have attached some pictures ,to help identify it. so far i have identified some ,i think im right ,not sure .but it a 1921 a=alto.  and h=high not sure about this one. but anyway i was looking for some value,to get it repaired ,if it is worth it. i have read that this is a very rare sax and highley collectable .i could be wrong ,but if the internet says it is,then....lol   i believe its a new wonder artist special or virtuoso deluxe sax...                    thank you  mark s.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
    (644 posts)

6 years ago

Re: cg conn

No real Value.

Not rare.

Look at the museum examples here  to pinpoint iti since you did not list any information here, such as a serial number.  It is 31XXX putting it 1900 not 81XXX putting it 1922

DEFINITLY not a 81XXX saxophone. Cage resoldered over the serial number.

Maybe worth 200 bucks. as a parts horn

Soldered tone holes and high pitch makes it a wall hanging. It needs a lot of work

It will cost 700 to refurbish it. I refurbish mainly old conns.

Good Luck

Reply To Post

1. by marks11
      (5 posts)

6 years ago

According to the set no. It points to a 1921 or 1922? Will this make difference? Did u happen to see the serial number plater?

Reply To Post

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
        (644 posts)

6 years ago

Here is your TMI..

At the stage your horn was made, factory 34, the tone holes were soldered on and straight across.

These will decay after 100 years, and simply need to be resoldered to be a playable instrument. Solder is much better today. Extensive work.

The next step in Conn saxophone evolution, aroud 50XXX, conn had drawn tone holes, metal drawn out from the body and then cut straight across. This is what most, if not all, manufacturers do today. These horns were the first to have a patent date dec 8, 1914 and 1119954 copyright number. This was 14 years after your horn was made. None of this info is on your horn.

The next step in evolution, around 60XXX serial number, was rolled tone holes. Instead of drawing the metal out and cutting it off, the metal was rolled down to provide a ring around the tone hole. Conn Reso pads were designed to work perfectly with this tone hole design. This is the beginning of the wonderful valuable horns legendary to Conn. A tuning mechanism was also added to the neck soon before this timeframe.

And the major ding against your horn is it is a high pitch (H). A-44 is correct today and that is a low pitch (L). So to refurbish your horn to play as good as it ever did, you would still be playing out of tune with everybody else in the band. An easy way to stick out in the crowd though. The Gold  plated keys and gold plated engraving makes it a wonerful and beautiful wall hanging. And a great parts horn.

There is your TMI

Good Luck

Reply To Post

1. by marks11
          (5 posts)

6 years ago

Thank you so much for your time on researching this for me. I was trilled to have it given to me.and was really hoping it would be that one horn,You got gifted to you. And it was a dandy. Oh well .I tried. But again thank you so much. Mark s.

Reply To Post

2. by marks11
        (5 posts)

6 years ago

Hi ,i did post the serial number,in one of the pixs.its 81166.  it's the 1st pix.  So its not worth to repair ,Thanks for replying. Did u see it?   Oh....i see it's a number 3 ,and not a number 8 ,like I thought. 

Reply To Post

3. by Swingbop'ers
        (3 posts)

6 years ago

Original Quote:
        "hi everyone ,this is my first post.....i have a cg conn that i recenetely acquired ,it needs to be cleaned ,rebuilt.completely,new pads the works. has the ivory on it.nice engraving. i have attached some pictures ,to help identify it. so far i have identified some ,i think im right ,not sure .but it a 1921 a=alto.  and h=high not sure about this one. but anyway i was looking for some value,to get it repaired ,if it is worth it. i have read that this is a very rare sax and highley collectable .i could be wrong ,but if the internet says it is,then....lol   i believe its a new wonder artist special or virtuoso deluxe sax...                    thank you  mark s.

I know a guy in Berlin who would repair it for 400€ if you are around ;)  
        Swingbopers : www.swingbopers.com
        Nadia Lafi : www.nadialafi.com

Reply To Post

1. by marks11
          (5 posts)

6 years ago

Thank you,but no. According to the tmi.i gave it away. To be put on a wall,for a practicing band room . I will let them know about the repair,but doubt any will do it.

Reply To Post