Saxophone Forum

by koreanpanda
(3 posts)
6 years ago

How old is a "The Indiana Martin" tenor saxophone S/N 71964

I had This saxophone for about three years. I took it into a shop to get my g# key fix, and the guy that worked on it said that this sax is ancients, very fragile. I looked online and none of the info helped me, I want to say that it is the date from the late 1920s, but I want to check it. The engravings have flowers, and the Indiana logo, and said "The Indiana Martin Elkhart". The S/N is 71964, which I went and looked on a lot of charts, it says that it was from 1926-1928. its very old, most of the paint is worn of, has some dents in the bottom of the bell. the low B and B flat holes are on the oppisite side.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by mijderf
    (282 posts)

6 years ago

Re: How old is a "The Indiana Martin" tenor saxophone S/N 71964

Some of the best information on Martins can be found at www.themartinstory.net.  The following link to this site states that the Indiana models were produced from 1942 - 1962 with a serial number range of from 26000 to 90000.  Most Martin serial number charts are for their professional models, and that is the type chart that would lead you to the mid 1920's.
    The following link addresses the Indiana model specifically:
    http://themartinstory.net/version7/models-indiana.php

It looks like your horn was most likely manufactured in the mid to late 1950's assuming that it really is the Indiana model.  You can compare your horn to the photos on the referenced site to see if that is what you have. 

Reply To Post

1. by koreanpanda
      (3 posts)

6 years ago

Hi, thank you for the info. I have already check this website, and none of the pictures match the engravings, the engraves on my sax has flowers along the bell, simliar to i believe a committe flower scheme. And has the indiana logo on it. I could be lookung at it wrong, but my sax does look older than 50s, i seen a ton of 1950s saxs, and their paint job hasn't came off, unlike mine, most of the paint came off. Could it possible a custom sax? I talk to a person in my band, he collects a ton of saxs, and he agrees it is at least late 1920s. Maybe 1926-28.
      Thanks

Pandas

Reply To Post

1. by mijderf
        (282 posts)

6 years ago

Can you post a photo of the "The Indiana Martin Elkhart" engraving?  That might help identify your horn.  

Reply To Post