Saxophone Forum

by agc8
(25 posts)
6 years ago

Selmer Mark VI of the 60's

Everyone hears things differently. So many factors. Life experience, biology, experience playing/listening to the sax...etc. But many say tha "best Mark VI are from the 60's...". Assuming that's the case how do you ID one? What is the serial number range? How much are they worth today? Curious.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
    (644 posts)

6 years ago

Re: Selmer Mark VI of the 60's

They are worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

My 1964 Mark VI tenor has been my only needed tenor since I bought it as a carcass relic and had it refurbished back in 1980. I have played many other Mark VI age horns and it just cmes down to personal taste. Every horn is truly unique.

I prefer the side keys without the ball pivot. That happened around 1965.

Here is the Saxophone.org Serial Number list.

https://www.saxophone.org/museum/serialNumbers

Look at Saxquest, Tenor Madness, and PM winds for Mark VI horns for sale at retail. Look in the trading post here for players selling horns.

Reply To Post

1. by agc8
      (25 posts)

6 years ago

Thanks for the iinformation. 

Any idea when Selmer began using Taiwanese parts? Curious. Was it in the last 15 odd years when Taiwanese parts began saturating the market? 

Seems more people buying new horns are accepting the fact that most are using some Taiwanese parts if not totally assembled in Taiwan using Taiwanese parts (e.g. Antiguq Winds, Pete Mariat). Not that they can't make good sounding horns. 

Wonder if Buffet horns use Taiwanse parts too now or are they 100% in-house like Rabone & Cazzani? And maybe Inderbinen? 

Reply To Post

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
        (644 posts)

6 years ago

Selmer Paris is made exclusively in Paris.

Selmer USA is a totally different company. They have been using asian parts for years.

Selmer USA made the Bundy after buying Buescher. Then the Bundy II. Then the Signet, Etc, Etc.

Reply To Post

1. by agc8
          (25 posts)

6 years ago

Are you absolutely sure? Can I ask you how you know this? How are you 100% sure? 

As I mentioned in another thread...I'll post my source URL when I come across it again...

Reply To Post

2. by Saxquest
          (420 posts)

6 years ago

Yes, without a doubt, Selmer Paris and Selmer USA are totally separate companies. All Selmer Paris saxophones are manufactured in the Paris workshop even the new SeleS Axos.

Cheers,
               Mark Overton
               www.saxquest.com 

Reply To Post

3. by agc8
          (25 posts)

6 years ago

Hey Mark. 

You say "manufactured"...does that mean using 100% French parts and ZERO foreign made parsts (e.g. Taiwanese or otherwise)? 

WIsh I could find the source that made me post this question. Maybe they WERE reterring to Selmer USA horns but weren't clear...

Do you know which other brands are making their horns 100% in-house with home-made parts (none from Taiwan)? I believe Rampone & Cazzani is antoher. possibly Buffet Crampon and Inderbinen...Yanagisawa's?

Reply To Post