Saxophone Forum

by mdenk
(2 posts)
6 years ago

Looking for Quality Alto Saxophone

Hello, I have been doing a lot of research and I am overwhelmed by all the information.  I am about to start college marchging band, and I am looking for a high quality alto saxophone that will last a long time.  Also I would not like to break the bank with this purchase. Your thoughts would be very helpful in my search for a saxophone. 

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by mijderf
    (282 posts)

6 years ago

Re: Looking for Quality Alto Saxophone

If you are playing in a marching band, the most important characteristics of your alto are reliability and ruggedness.  Make no mistake, your sax will take a beating in marching band.

Good construction will trump tone in the marching band, because no one in the stands will here anyone's individual tone.  For this reason, I would go to a reputable second hand dealer and look for a well refurbished Yamaha YAS-23 or similar horn.  They even have some on this site.

If you are also majoring in music, then you will want a better playing horn for the remainder of the year.  But you do not state that, so I will not approach that topic at this time.

Good luck and have lot's of fun! (Oh, and consider a synthetic reed, you do not have to keep it moist, and it won't easily break when you stumble or get bumped into by a trombone player.)

Reply To Post

1. by mdenk
      (2 posts)

6 years ago

Thank you for the advice, I am not going to be majoring in music but I will be playing in the University Band. 

Reply To Post

1. by mijderf
        (282 posts)

6 years ago

And for further support, here's another thread from just a few days back on the same subject:
        https://www.saxophone.org/forum/thread/id/44234

Reply To Post

2. by RobertD
      (73 posts)

6 years ago

I'm going to run the risk of suggesting a saxophone that's built like a tank, plays like an all-out pro horn, and is priced for someone exactly like you: Eastman 52nd Street. Made in China.

IMO, best horn, dollar for dollar, on the market today. I found one used in excellent condition for a little more than half the average street price.

Reply To Post

3. by happyjazz
      (1 post)

6 years ago

Try visiting Bayfrontshop online saxophone store https://bayfrontshop.com/product-category/saxophones/ . They sell affordable good quality Alto Saxophone.

Reply To Post