Saxophone Forum

by llehctiMnairB
(18 posts)
19 years ago

VI or VII?

I am stuck between which one to get. Which one is better for the money?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Roccosm
    (113 posts)

18 years ago

Re: VI or VII?

Friend, I bought a Selmer M6 in 1069, the selmer In mY opinon is the best Horn out there, sure it is an very touchy subject for alott of people who trash the Selmer, but I recently bought a Selmer M7 sn 243196 and I can't tell the difference , really, I was so suprized at the effortless ability of the horn and the great sound, if I were You I would try the 7 and You will not be disapointed, all Horn;s are different, I played several M6's before I bought the one I have . it is Gold laquerand I would not take any dollar amt. for it. I am now looking for a M7 tenor. I bad rap the 7's have are about the spatula key being to hard to hit, but other than that it is a great Horn for half the cost of a M6..Rocco

Reply To Post

1. by Roccosm
      (113 posts)

18 years ago

1069???? I was 6 then,,I mean 1969,,,

Reply To Post

2. by Sax_Shark
    (134 posts)

19 years ago

Wow, a couple more nouns would have been good and if you want to get crazy, use adjectives too.

Reply To Post

1. by definition
      (963 posts)

19 years ago

What is so confusing? He's talkin 'bout Selmer MarK VI and Mark VII. Personally, I'd say neither.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Roccosm
        (113 posts)

18 years ago

What Horn ddo You recomend Friend , Rocco

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

As if those were the only 2 choices! Some people just HAVE to play a Selmer! NOTHING else is good enough! I'm not sure why this is. Is it because they were brainwashed by their band directors into thinking that Selmer is the best? Is it because they believe that Selmer saxophones are magical and will make them sound better than any other horn? Maybe they just love the name Selmer? Let me be the first to smack you in the back of the head and say.....SNAP OUT OF IT!!!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by CajunSax
          (76 posts)

19 years ago

to me, it's who you idolize and what did he play. All those kids wearing Air Jordan sneakers. My guitar player has a Strat almost exactly like Hendrix did. I tried Mark VI's cuz a lot of the guys i admired played them...Coltrane, Freddy V, Leroi Moore, etc... The school horn i played in high school was a VII, the only thing i remember that was better was it had the high F# fork key on the right hand...but u can cet a Mark VI that has that. I prefer it altissimo nowadays. VII's will be quite a bit cheaper than the VI's...but none of it will matter if u dont got the chops. i still play my mom's old Vito alto at some of my gigs...Lucita (my Silver five-digit Mark VI alto gets a break sometimes). Nothin wrong with it at all. And for the guy that didnt know what we meant by VI's and VII's - go check out the vintage gallery on this site, then you'll know what we mean by 10m, Aristocrats, and Naked Ladies. :)

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

19 years ago

"I am stuck between which one to get. Which one is better for the money?" I still think the 1941 10M tenor I got for $800 (plus trade) is better than any selmer, and my 1939 6M alto ($1000 plus trade) would put up a good fight agenst a selmer. BUT, I'm considering cost as a part of the "value" thing. Some people think anything but selmer is crap. I tell these people what my family did with the $6500 we saved. I think if a person is really serious about buying a new/different horn they will try out as many brands and models as they can. That they will have an open mind, and only go into it having an idea of what kind of sound they want. Going into this with "selmer" in mind is stupid, and just limiting yourself. (steps off the soapbox)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

3. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

19 years ago

The key work between the VI and VII feel very different. You should play both and decide which you are more comfortable with. If you have small hands, the VII could be a problem - there's some long reaches. There are "dog" VI's and VII's out there, so I'll spare any commentary on which sounds better. You'll never know until it is set up right and you play it for a few hours.

Reply To Post

3. by saxitup
        (49 posts)

19 years ago

I agree with Jim's comments. I remember back in High School, all of us played bundys and all of a sudden one kid came in with a new VII. The band leader moved him from 2nd chair to 1st and he got all the future solo parts.

Reply To Post

4. by sax_maniac
        (984 posts)

19 years ago

"I remember back in High School, all of us played bundys and all of a sudden one kid came in with a new VII. The band leader moved him from 2nd chair to 1st and he got all the future solo parts." _________________ Maybe he was the only one without pad leaks! :) I remember challenging and beating out a saxophone rival - my beat up Bundy II vs. his shiny new VII. I took the solos and later, his girlfriend. What can I say? I have a passion for solos and redheads...

Reply To Post

5. by CajunSax
        (76 posts)

19 years ago

i hear ya fellas...my mom's old Vito alto is what i played in high school...1st chair all-state 3 yrs...would've been 4 had i not played football my senior year. it's like golfers & their clubs...these hacks think next new driver will solve all their slice problems.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

6. by sax kid
        (19 posts)

19 years ago

i agre i made all sate for 2 years on a yas-23. but i like selmers cause they have a fair tone but not a super brite tone like yamaha's have. but if it were up to me i would get a mark VII because the altisimo is fixed to be able to go into the extreme ranges easier than a VI.

Reply To Post

7. by Roccosm
        (113 posts)

18 years ago

Yes, it is not the horn or club, it is the swing..

Reply To Post