Saxophone Forum

by TheManWithAPlan
(6 posts)
6 years ago

Need help identifying my sax

im not sure how old my saxophone is, I’d like to find out and also how much it might be worth, not that I’m thinking of selling it

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by mijderf
    (282 posts)

6 years ago

Re: Need help identifying my sax

Just below the right hand thumb rest hook you will find a serial number (above the "L").  Take this serial number to the serial number table on this site:

https://www.saxophone.org/museum/serialNumbers#manufacturer-13

to find out the year of manufacture.  The value is dependent upon finish and condition, but this looks to be a newer Conn 6M, so the value will be lower than the older ones. 

Reply To Post

1. by TheManWithAPlan
      (6 posts)

6 years ago

The serial number starts with a k, should I enter that as well or just the number

Reply To Post

2. by historicsaxwhisperer
    (644 posts)

6 years ago

Your horn was made by conn in probably the early 1960s. It is a 14M Director Model. With Finish 56, silver plated body with nickel plated keys. Also called the stars and stripes model by everybody that sees one, but this is misleading. The same engraving appeared for many years in various student model horns. Yours has a few nice features, like the adjustment screw on the lower stack float key arm.

The silverplated version is somewhat uncommon.

This model is very common on ebay, probably in the $150 range. Since it is thrown in with many other student level models.  The older versions were made in Elkhart Indiana. Later not true director model versions, in Mexico.

If you were to sell it, playing upon the somewhat rare silver plate, you may get up to like $300 for it.

Enjoy it. I am sure it plays nicely. I myself, who deals with many horns in a years time, would grab it up if found locally.

Good Luck.

Reply To Post

3. by TheManWithAPlan
    (6 posts)

6 years ago

The 6 digit serial number starts with k06, I’m just not sure if i need to leave the k out or in while looking up the serial number 

Reply To Post

1. by TheManWithAPlan
      (6 posts)

6 years ago

When I search it with the k it says late 1800’s and when I search it without the k it says early 1900’s

Reply To Post

1. by TheManWithAPlan
        (6 posts)

6 years ago

If this helps it is a 6m serial number k06719

Reply To Post

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
          (644 posts)

6 years ago

If it states 6M, then it would be one of the last productions stating 6m

So 1962 would be the year. In order to not extend the serial numbers into the million spot, I would assume K06719 would actually mean 1,006,719, since serial number charts have the serial numbers for 6M ending just prior to the 1,000,000 mark.

My previous value comments remain the same.

Reply To Post

2. by TheManWithAPlan
          (6 posts)

6 years ago

Thanks a bunch, this helped so much!

Reply To Post

3. by mijderf
          (282 posts)

6 years ago

I found a couple of Conn serial number charts that show K serial numbers were used in 1967.

Reply To Post

4. by historicsaxwhisperer
          (644 posts)

6 years ago

Interesting post. My question concerning the serial number charts, does it look like K represents the million spot on the serial number? (1000 thousands is 1 million, so a K like 1000K) Conns machinery used 6 numerals for about 50 years, so tooling may have just been an expensive change to go into the million dollar spot. Like the odometer on my 1985 dodge van, back to 0 at 100,000 miles.

Also, does the serial number list refer to the K serials horns as a 6M? Or no designation of model?

I have never seen a 6M that has so many Conn director model features. This is an interesting example of how various new designs "bleed into" more than one model. The Legendary Tranny/True Chu Berry comes to mind as o historic example of the "bleed into" a new model example.

In other words, its an interesting horn. Value is more to collector geeks like myself more than a top notch musicians horn.

Reply To Post

5. by mijderf
          (282 posts)

6 years ago

Hi saxwhisperer.  First off, the charts I looked at did not show any model types (6M or otherwise) by the serial ranges starting with letters.  Here is what is shown:

Series  Year

C        1964
          E        1965
          H        1966
          K        1967
          L        1968
          M       1969
          N       1970
          P        1971
          R        1972

Reply To Post