Saxophone Forum

by emilyg624
(1 post)
6 years ago

Buying a New Sax

I was looking into buying a professional saxophone for high school, but I'm unsure of what to buy. I was looking at the Cannonball Big Bell Stone Series and the Yamaha Custom Z or EX. Anyone have any opinions on these or a preference?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
    (644 posts)

6 years ago

Re: Buying a New Sax

Look to the future and remember your new horn will never be worth more than you pay for it new. There are just too many used saxophones out there now.

I myself would stich with the Yamaha

Reply To Post

2. by mijderf
    (282 posts)

6 years ago

Re: Buying a New Sax

First of all, you do not say what type of horn (sop, alto, tenor etc).  That information greatly helps the responders.
    Secondly, I will probably get flamed for saying this, but I do not consider the Cannonballs to be professional horns yet (the key word is yet).  And my reason has nothing to do with tone, but a professional horn is well built and holds up over time.  Cannonballs have been out for awhile, but I am not sure it has enough history yet to show how well it will last.
    Since you are buying this for high school, I assume that you may not be fully developed as a player.  As you gain more experience, you will find that the tone you get is more dependent upon mouthpiece, reed and neck than on the horn.  Therefore I recommend that you buy a solid pro level horn with good history, and that can be serviced by most technicians.  I would consider the Yamaha 62 series pro horn since they are a bargain when compared to the price of a Z or EX.
    If you decide to major in music in college, you may find that certain programs encourage the use of certain makes of saxes, so don't overinvest at this time.

Reply To Post