Saxophone Forum

by pricear
(3 posts)
6 years ago

Help identifying old low b sax please help

I recently acquired a old low b alto sax I need some help identifying. There is no maker stamp or engravings other than what I think is a serial # on the neck receiver. 9XX is the number. her are a few things i noticed.

1 it is high pitched 24 inches long

2 has rollers on the pinky keys

3 g# is on the back of the sax like on the early Sax models

4 the only marking are in the neck receiver with a"serial" 9xx stamped

5 pads look to be old an original white leather no resonator and sewn together.

6. string on the neck for the mouthpiece

7. has a bis key

8. has 3 right hand palm keys not 2 like really early ones.

9. 2 octave keys (not connected) like on modern saxes

10. the lower stack and upper stack are connected with the lower f for an alternate Bb  

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
    (644 posts)

6 years ago

Re: Help identifying old low b sax please help

This looks to me to be from a french manufacturer. If it was anybody that was anybody, it would say so. It would have little to no value.

A fun collectable piece though.

Good Luck

Reply To Post

1. by pricear
      (3 posts)

6 years ago

I agree it look to be a frech manfactureer as well. the key work looks a lot like a 1903 evette schaffer I ran accross that had a low Bb other than that very similar. I dont rally care about he value of it just curious about when and where it came from. 
      my guess is 1880-1900ish probably french maybe and evette sold to be a stencil but never engraved   

Reply To Post

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
        (644 posts)

6 years ago

It looks to be a very old primitive horn. BUT, it has those rollers. That was not the case on the old primitive horns.

With that said, I think it is basically someone making a horn using the primitive "Blue Print", making an instrument that looks to be very old, but might not be as old as you think.

The Italiam market also did such things. Not made to deceive, but able to use the old primitive key work without worrying about any laws concerning patents, etc.

Good Luck

Reply To Post