Saxophone Forum

by Junior High Blues King
(7 posts)
19 years ago

Is Yamaha a good Sax brand for Jazz Players?!?

If so, which one?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by kneejerk52
    (397 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Is Yamaha a good Sax brand for Jazz Players?!?

look forNelson Hill on his website he is a young great jazz player who uses yamaha. you can hear him play the bari on Phil Woods new disc call " This is what i Think about Quincy", great tunes, hope this helps.

Reply To Post

2. by nad1rn
    (37 posts)

19 years ago

yes, i play on an 82z that has been worked on by tenor maddness. it is an excellent horn for jazz and classical. i use a selmer c* and i can get a great jazz sound out of it, just not in the altssimo. right now i'm trying to get my hands on a dukoff D7 which should improve my jazz sound. all in all this is an excellent horn for jazz

Reply To Post AIM

1. by EL Seano
      (255 posts)

19 years ago

Like the others, I'd also recommend a Yamaha 82Z. You should go for the unlacquered finish, as this tends to give you a bigger sound.

Reply To Post

1. by mattdude
        (74 posts)

19 years ago

listen to this man. i've recently purchased a yamaha 82zu (unlacquered) tenor sax. it lends a huge sound and bends over backwards for anything you put at it. absoltuely no resistance. fabulous horn. i'm playing it with an ottolink 7 metal and 3 v16 great stuff :)

Reply To Post

1. by phathorn
          (165 posts)

19 years ago

Noticed that Jeff Coffin is now a Yamaha artist too...another feather in Yamaha's cap cause Jeff is a HOSS on his horn. Might be one of the most underrated cats out there...

Reply To Post

2. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

19 years ago

I like to transcribe a lot of Jeff Coffin. Great tone, big sound, but he uses an awful lot of blues and minor pentatonic. I think if you put him on a tough standard like Have You Met Miss Jones, or Cherokee, you might see his weaknesses. He is the man with what he's doing though, great stuff. Insane time signatures! 13/7? He's got great feel for time.

Reply To Post

3. by phathorn
          (165 posts)

19 years ago

I think that if you got to hear more of Jeff's work with his Mu'Tet, you would hear his soloing go in more directions. He can get very modal and I've been to a few shows where sheets of sound is the order of the night. He does use a lot of blues and minor pents, though, you are correct.

Reply To Post