Saxophone Forum

by RoYrOy
(51 posts)
19 years ago

Mouthpiece Help!

I'm a year and a half experienced sax player, and I'm really really really perfectionist, which is bad and good! I'm getting very frustrated with my sound, right now I have three mouthpieces and three tipes of reeds, can anybody tell me their opinion as to what I got what would give me the best sound? Bari WTII Otto Link Copy Vandoren Java Jumbo Martin Mouthpiece( really old but has a pretty good sound) Vandoren ZZ Reeds( I don't like them! Too bright) Rico Street Jazz Alexander Superial I want a dark sound, Sonny Rollins style, I'm aiming really high, but until I buy a custom mpc, what to do? Help!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by golferguy675
    (600 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Mouthpiece Help!

Until you go for a custom piece...and if you don't want to just buy a cheap otto link... I would say go with the Bari(what size?) and the Superial 3s. If you want a dark subtone type Sonny sound, throw the jumbo java in the can. Those things peel paint off walls. I wouldn't really know much about the Martin piece, other than I'm guessing it's got a fairly small chamber, so that's not really what I would look for in a dark jazz sound. If you've got 70 bucks laying around, buy an Otto Link 6* or 7, that would be better than a Bari. Perfectionism can be really good practicing in music, but don't let it hold you back in expressing yourself and letting go either. Good luck

Reply To Post

1. by RoYrOy
      (51 posts)

19 years ago

My Bari is a 6, I really love it's sound, the thing about my Bari mpc is that I can hardly ever get in in tune, I have to have it about less than a centimeter on the neck to read something close to a Bb, my teachers says I could loosen my embouchure, that would flatten the tone a bit. I don't know, are metal mpc's more challenging than the hard rubber ones?

Reply To Post

2. by CMelodyMan77
    (26 posts)

19 years ago

I wouldn't reccommend throwing out the Jumbo Java. They're pretty good for the money. If you want the best and can to pay $300 for a mouthiece, then get a Jody Jazz. Check out my forum forumofthesaxes.myfreeforum.org

Reply To Post

1. by RoYrOy
      (51 posts)

19 years ago

The Java is a great moupiece per se, but It's just not the sound I'm looking for. CMelody can you talk to me about the Jody Jazz mpc's, I've heard a lot about them. What's the deal? I wish I could hear them but over here in Puerto Rico there are few sax shops. Suggestions on a good ligature for a metal mpc?

Reply To Post

1. by golferguy675
        (600 posts)

19 years ago

Ok, definetly loosen up your embouchure for jazz. It won't flatten the tone, it will open it up and it will be more in tune. Not a lot, but put the lower lip out a litte and loosen up so your embouchure is like an O. If you use your classical embouchure in jazz, it's going to be to closed and stuffy. Do you play tenor or alto? If you play tenor, you might try an Otto Link STM 7 metal, but try it first, because it is harder to control than a hard rubber. Metal pieces usually have their own special lig that comes with them.

Reply To Post

1. by RoYrOy
          (51 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks man, I'll try, I imagine that it will take a bit of adjusting but it will help me. What's the difference between a classical embouchure and a jazz one? I play tenor, and my Bari WTII mpc came with a ligature, but it has corroded and is not in really good condition. Suggestions?

Reply To Post

2. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

19 years ago

Is your bari a metal m/p? Is so, metal mouthpiece ligs aren't near as interchangable as hard rubber ligs. I would suggest contacting the company and trying to get a replacement. You might try getting an Otto Link STM lig though, since it's an Otto Link Copy. Difference between a classical and jazz embouchure....very touchy and opinionated subject. I'll give you my take on it, and if other people want to throw rotten fruit at me and tell you their idea is better, then ok. A classical embouchure to me is more closed. Your bottom lip should be curved in and there shouldn't be any of the edge. A lot of edge is created just by the embouchure rather than the m/p. Playing a lot of jazz helps your classical sound get fuller though in my opinion, because a lot of strict classical players sound whimpy because they have a weak airstream. A jazz embouchure should be more relaxed. Most people let their bottom lip come out a little to a lot, it gives more edge and helps in projection, and it can help control. You should also relax your throat. A lot of people don't really develop control of those muscles, but it's really pretty important as far as tone. Also, that's the actual way to do bends and scoops. Very little of that should be done with your embouchure. Make sure with both ways, that your airstream is solid, steady, and consists of warm air, not cold. Basically just exhale, and if you want to be louder, exhale harder. Think breathing out, not blowing. Hope I was of some help

Reply To Post

3. by RoYrOy
          (51 posts)

19 years ago

You know on the subject of how to breathe. I've been blowing into the saxophone since I started, and about a week ago I "accidentally" discovered that if I use my diaphragm to push out the air from my lungs (what you call breathing instead of blowing) gives me a much warmer and lusher tone.

Reply To Post

4. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

19 years ago

Definetly. I can't even imagine doing it the other way...I think I would hyperventilate...way too much work.

Reply To Post

5. by CMelodyMan77
          (26 posts)

19 years ago

Jody Jazz mouthpieces are hands-down the best jazz pieces on the market today. They have loads of guts and let you make your own sound with them. Their response is absolutely insane. They are also priced fairly reasonably, and get this: they come in different colors!! They come with Rovner ligatures and on top of it all, Jody has the best customer service of anybody I've dealt with.

Reply To Post

6. by phathorn
          (165 posts)

19 years ago

Hey Golferguy! I agree with what you are saying for the most part. However, most of the guys who use a classical embrochure and sound stuffy playing jazz sound stuffy playing classical too. The embrochures I use for any genre remains constant. While my sound isn't very bright, it is big! One of my biggest compliments ever was after playing at the 1993 NASA convention (SW Missouri St) in front of Dick Oatts and him raving about my sound. Of course, I think I spent more time raving about his. His CD "Dial and Oatts" is one of my all time faves.

Reply To Post

7. by j
          (2 posts)

19 years ago

MORE Mouthpiece Help!!!

I have been playing clasical sax for some years. now i want to try into jazz, I went to the music shop to see what kind of metal mouthpieces they have as i dont know much or nothing about them, I got introduced to the Ottolink, and a Ottolink New york, the guy says, but they look the same to me, can some one tell me what is the diference between them, and how can I recognice them also physically, ?is the Newyork some how shorter than the other one? what is your experience with theme?? I also got to try a vandorien... everything in 1 hour, very difficult to deside what was I was looking for... only know that i like the sound of michael breaker. thanks for helping me in my search.

Reply To Post

8. by j
          (2 posts)

19 years ago

Re: MORE Mouthpiece Help!!!

Sorry. just realised I miss to tell that is a tenor sax I play, Ijused to play an evonit , meyer number 6... the Ottolinl I tryed in the shop wher from 6 to 8 and think I feel good with numer 7. .. Im just lost cause dont really know what kind of mouth oiece is that, or the New york. is it ok. or should i go for something more expencive?? well any info would be really helpfull.

Reply To Post

9. by jacobeid
          (24 posts)

19 years ago

I agree. I haven't put any of my mouthpieces back on after I got a jody jazz classic for my alto. When I get my professional grade sax fairly soon, I know I'll still use my Jody jazz mouthpiece, if not buy a higher model one. Like a 24k gold ESP ;)

Reply To Post