Saxophone Forum

by SaxIndividual
(3 posts)
21 years ago

Just writing to say hello!

Hello, my name is Steve and I have been playing saxophone for the past 6 years. I am a senior in high school, and I am on my way to Concordia Moorhead to pursue a music education degree. I have an issue with some players, saxophone players in general. Some of the saxophonists that I play with in band have an obsession with all of the hip saxophone players out there. They sit there with the latest recording of their favorite player, trying to copie their exact sounds and mannerisms. I feel that many people have taken this too far. Having a saxophone player that you aspire to sound like is a good start, but when does it go so far that you just become a clone. Any thoughts or comments? Thank you.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Debs
    (4 posts)

21 years ago

Re: Just writing to say hello!

Hi Steve. I think that it is always good to have a standard to aspire to, but that you need to try and let your own personality into the playing. There should be interpretation rather than reproducition, to keep live music fresh! Debs x

Reply To Post

2. by TheChristianSax
    (6 posts)

21 years ago

Re: Just writing to say hello!

Hello there, I believe that it is very important to listen and emulate other players. Emulation is part of the learning process, but I do believe that it can be taken to the extreme. I remember reading that Sonny Stitt caught a lot of heat because everyone thought he was trying to be Parker. Stitts solution; he switched to tenor. Nelson Rangell has been likened to Sanborn, even by Sanborn. I am sure we could, eventhough it might not be fun, point to many players that have emulate even Kenny G(on soprano). I think it is important to study many different players so that you don't fall into the trap of having your "mind's ear" hearing the same style over and over. Keep the great posts coming, that really got me to think. Sincerely, Matt

Reply To Post