Saxophone Forum

by rajsax
(1 post)
19 years ago

sax setup

can some help me. I have just received a saxophone from an ebay auction. never played it before. how do i insert the'read' into the mouth piece. thanks.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Sax Mom
    (964 posts)

19 years ago

Re: sax setup

Your best bet is to find someone who plays the saxophone who can show you (maybe an employee in a store that sells the reeds?) A saxophone teacher would be better, though... but here goes: First, you need to soak the thin end of the reed in your mouth for a few minutes to moisten it, or it won't play. Second, you need to place the reed flat along the mouthpiece (flat sides together) so that the end of the reed is even with the end of the mouthpiece. There is a third piece of equipment called a ligature that goes around both the reed and the mouthpiece to fasten them together. Good luck!

Reply To Post

1. by cobra_sam
      (11 posts)

19 years ago

Re: sax setup

There are some really good books in the music stores for beginners they come with a DVD you can pop into the DVD player and follow the on screen instructions. It shows you how to set up the sax and how to clean and care for it after use. Good luck. Sam

Reply To Post