Saxophone Forum

by kitwat
(4 posts)
19 years ago

Selmer Alto

I have a Selmer Alto Sax, Serial number 57218, my research tells me that the first one made was SN57000. I would like to restore it and learn how to play it, my father purchased it brand new and used it for only 9 years until he passed away at the age of 35. It was left to me and has been untouched since 1963. The pads definitely need to be replaced among a few other things (minor). It has the original laquer and I would like to know if I should have it re-laqured or leave it the way it is during restoration. I would also like to know the value of this sax even though I will never sell it as it has too much sentimental value.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by SaxAppeal
    (67 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Selmer Alto

Don't relaquer your horn it will never sound the same because when they go to buff your horn they will take some of the metal off with the laquer. As for your horn what model is it?!

Reply To Post

1. by saxophonik
      (73 posts)

19 years ago

Plus, I know you're not concerned about monetary value, but since you asked, unless it's already been relaquered, relaquering your horn greatly reduces the value of a vintage horn.

Reply To Post

1. by kitwat
        (4 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks for the tip saxophonik. Do you have any idea of the value of this horn, it is a Mark VI model

Reply To Post

2. by kitwat
      (4 posts)

19 years ago

The horn is a Mark VI, supposedly the best sounding horn ever made. I am really looking forward to leaning how to play it.

Reply To Post

1. by saxophonik
        (73 posts)

19 years ago

"The 'best' sounding horn ever made" is debatable... definitely 'one' of the best, yes. I would give it a shot. It sounds to me like you have a good horn in hiding just waiting to sing again. Sorry. I'm not much an expert on vintage Selmers, but from what I understand, the earlier five-digit Mark VI's are the most sought after. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong... thnx) I've seen them for sale with a price tag ranging anywhere from $3500 up to about $7k+. I know there are other people on this ring who could give you a better answer, so if anyone can, please do. BTW- if you can get a couple photos linked up I'm sure that'll help out as well.

Reply To Post

1. by sardonic_z
          (8 posts)

19 years ago

you could probably get between 5-7 thousand for that horn, assuming you had it in playing condition. whatever you do, though, don't relacquer it!

Reply To Post

2. by kitwat
          (4 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks for the info sardonic, I wont relaquer for sure

Reply To Post