Saxophone Forum

by mrchristill
(5 posts)
2 weeks ago

Mystery Stencil Tenor Saxophone/Ray Lammers Music House

Can somebody please ID the maker and model of this tenor sax? It's from at least the early 1950s or 1940s. The guy I got it from got it refurbished in 1954. It is stenciled Ray Lammers Music House, Cincinnati, Ohio, a big music store back in the day. Thank you very much, Chris Till

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by mrchristill
    (5 posts)

2 weeks ago

Re: Mystery Stencil Tenor Saxophone/Ray Lammers Music House

Test response

Reply To Post

2. by historicsaxwhisperer
    (264 posts)

2 weeks ago

I love it.

I restore vintage saxes, live in Cincinnati, never seen a Ray Lammers stencil.

My guess is it was made by Holton, or Buescher.

It has the G# trill Key, but no Forked Eflat. Interesting keywork  to me.

Fun thing is in 1980, I purchased my 1964 Mark VI tenor carcass from Ray Lammers.His daughter actually finalized the transaction. I paid 625 bucks for it. Total taxes and all. Its all the money a 1980 sophomore in High School could scrounge up. She told me Dad would be Very unhappy with the bargain I was getting, but it had been there awhile. Ray had already died and the son in law was running the business. It was the fist place I looked when I decided I needed to find a Mark VI.

I had it refurbished by a Master Tech here in town and I still play it daily.

I'd love to have it, but it probably has little value.

500 bucks if its playable with no issues.

Good Luck

Reply To Post

1. by mrchristill
      (5 posts)

2 weeks ago

Interesting. I live in Yellow Springs. Funny, but true, I also looked at a '64 Mark VI tenor sax yesterday (before later buying this Lammer sax). It's on the Cinci CL. Met the seller at the Anderson Towne Center Kroger's parking lot. We couldn't agree on a price. Odd, I do believe it was a real Mark VI, but it was not stamped marked Mark VI.

Reply To Post

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
        (264 posts)

1 week ago

Very Interesting.

I never miss a Cincinnati CL saxophone. I check it on and off daily, as I am at a computer constantly. Day Bank Job.....

I contacted that CL lister and informed him of its value. He was asking 10K for it.

I told him a 1964 Mark VI was more in the 6500 range PLAYING.

What did you offer him and what did you think of that horn?

It looks like a relacuer in the pictures.

I told him if I had 6K I'd snag it up.

I love my 1964

Thanks for any info.

Reply To Post

1. by mrchristill
          (5 posts)

1 week ago

The CL '64 Mark VI is in fair condition. The seller is a genuine and nice guy. It was his late wife's sax. He knows what he has. He's sitting on a $4k offer that I did not want to top. At least one missing brace. Some hardbit tarnish wear on the bow. Pads are shot. Non-original modern case. No mouthpiece. I'd call it the good side of fair condition, but not solid good. Not bad though. Very little engraving so that means assembled in France? Is it normal to not have a Mark VI stamp though?

Reply To Post

2. by historicsaxwhisperer
          (264 posts)

1 week ago

Yeah, it is a Mark VI, even if not stamped so. Mine does not have the front bow mark VI or the earlier version, up by the OK lever marking.

The missing brace can be replaced. I will look at the pics and figure that one out.  The pitting looks a bit ugly. The not much engraving tells me it was probably relacquered, so not much engraving showing. It has that dark satin lok of a relac. The French engraving is somewhat elaborate. The American engraving is much more elaborate, No engraving is possible, but litte engraving probably not.

I agree with your reluctants to pay higher. There are just too many out there to not get a great deal on a carcass. It is a carcass. It wont tell its true story without at least 1000 in necessary work. Then it may just not be what you want. Every one is different in its own way.

If it is still around in a month, 2950  is closer to what I would pay, knowing the amount of work it is going to need. Like a nonrunning 57 chevy. Each one is a gem, but some need more extensive work that makes it no longer original.

Thanks for saving me the trip to Anderson.

Reply To Post

3. by mrchristill
          (5 posts)

1 week ago

Yes, the Anderson Mark VI needs $1,000 of work. I am not knowledgable enough to know if it's been relacquered, but it is basically not engraved. The problem is that somebody told him it's worth $15,000. I did put that Ray Lammers saxophone up on eBay, if you want to know more about it. 

Reply To Post