Saxophone Forum

by Junior High Blues King
(7 posts)
19 years ago

Leading tenor!!!

I finally got the lead spot for our schools Saxophone section and I am so frustrated because now I am Saxophone leader, Drum Major General, and a member of the Saxophone trio so my frustrations are many!!! The only good thing about this is I am better than the rest of the class at this point and I get to arrange what songs we get to play at Competitions and Concerts! I am not a very good leader because nobody wants my help nor cooperation so our band is a total mess and my social status has plummeted!! Please give me some advice on hard times such as this!!!!!!!!! THANKS!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by golferguy675
    (600 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Leading tenor!!!

Maybe hook up with Yanagisawa901, or read some of his posts.....It's been pretty well covered.

Reply To Post

1. by jamterry
      (573 posts)

19 years ago

Good call golferguy !!!! I think it's time to organize the all leader band. Everyone is the leader and everyone is the best. Thank goodness i stayed out of that part of high school.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

2. by EL Seano
    (255 posts)

19 years ago

Congratulations on the new lead, dude. I just gotta question for you. Is this a big band saxophone section you're playing in? If so, it is usually the 1st alto that leads the saxophone section, unfortunately not the first tenor. But being lead tenor is good, because Tenor 1 is one of the most commonly soloing positions, meaning lots of fun for us tenor players. Have fun!

Reply To Post

1. by EL Seano
      (255 posts)

19 years ago

Oh crap, I forgot the advice you were asking for. Its a shame that your section is unwilling to listen to you, I am at loss at how to tame such ignorant fools, but as leader (if you actualy are alto 1) there are a few rules. 1. NEVER be arrogant or rude, always listen to what others in your section have to say. 2. If you wanted to do something fancy with a particular phrase, tell your section what you are doing, and have them do the same. This will result in a tighter and better playing section 3. NEVER be arrogant. oh crap i said that. Oh well, i just hate arrogant lead altos lol. yeah, if I think of more i'll get back to you.

Reply To Post