Saxophone Forum

by tee196
(31 posts)
19 years ago

Conn shooting Stars Model

Conn shooting Stars Model, what do you think of them and why??? Thanx. Ive seen alot of them and i was just curious.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxokid
    (1 post)

17 years ago

Re: Conn shooting Stars Model

Someone gave me a Conn shooting star alto sax. It is from aprox 1970, does anyone know how much it is worth?

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
      (575 posts)

17 years ago

Saxokid, These are cheap as chips to buy, and there are MANY of them floating around. Unfortunately, 1970 vintage Director models are considered by most to be the worst of the lot. This is when Conn moved nearly all of their student horn production to Mexico...thus the nickname Mexi-Conn given to these later horns. I would expect to get a couple of hundred dollars max for it, provided it is in good nic and playing condition.

Reply To Post

2. by jamterry
    (573 posts)

19 years ago

My first tenor was a shooting star. I thought it was a great horn. I used a selmer C * mouthpiece, which my teacher requested.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

3. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Even the later models made in Mexico are better than many of the student instruments today that are made in China and Taiwan. The better shooting stars, or "Director" models as they are known, are the earlier model 14M alto and 16M tenor that were made between 1955 and 1968. The 1969 and later models are not as good.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

4. by Sax Mom
    (964 posts)

19 years ago

Started on one in 1972 and still playing it. Love it.

Reply To Post

5. by connsax101
    (1 post)

18 years ago

I have a CONN shooting star h59xxx - what year was it made? and where? It seems to have great sound and quality. What are your thoughts?

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
      (575 posts)

18 years ago

Hi Connsax101, The serial number you provided places the date of manufacture for this horn at 1966. As a long time collector of vintage horns (in particular, Conns) I don't have such glowing opinions of the Director's models, even as student/intermediate horns (although the earlier years of manufacture did yield the cream of this crop), however to each his own.

Reply To Post

1. by P-MAN
        (1 post)

16 years ago

I was just speaking to someone who wants to sell a Conn "shooting stars" model, but doesn't know if it's an alto or tenor. Can you identify by the following serial # N 30053. Thanks

Reply To Post

2. by brazjol
        (4 posts)

17 years ago

Hello, Would you happen to know the date/place of manufacture of a shooting star horn with the serial E45xxx?

Reply To Post

1. by Saxon
          (100 posts)

17 years ago

I read somewhere that the shooting stars were a student model, cheaper and not so good as the previous models? Any more light?

Reply To Post

2. by STEVE GOODSON
          (291 posts)

17 years ago

Conn bought the A.M. Best Manufacturing Company of Nogales, Arizona in 1961, and moved production of the student instruments in their line (including the "Shooting Star") there. The tone hole placement and bore were carried over from previous designs, and were reall pretty good. The keywork was cheapened considerably. but the horns PLAYED.

Reply To Post

3. by tcufrogprince1
          (1 post)

9 years ago

I just bought a shooting star sax.  It says USA and according to the number it is from 1902. I dont believe this one works and I am not a musical instrument guy, but it just looks amazing.  Any ideas if this is worth restoring and how much would it fetch? All the pieces are there, it has a bit of spotting that can be buffed out.  Some of the keys are a bit sticky.  Other than that it doesnt look that bad.   

Reply To Post

4. by barisaxalpha
          (9 posts)

9 years ago

If it's the kind of horn that is usually referred to as the "Shooting Star" then it is definitely not from 1902. I know there is occasionally some confusion over Conn serial numbers because their student lines used a different set of numbers after a point which, when checked against their pro level serial charts, can deceptively point to an earlier date.

If the horn is the "Shooting Star" its value isn't that high. If put into correct playing condition, it can be a very good student horn for a middle/high schooler, but you'd have to decide whether or not it's worth it to you to put the money into getting it restored. The cost of a restoration may be more than what you could sell it for.

If the horn is not a "Shooting Star" and is, in fact, from 1902, then it is most likely a Wonder or Wonder Improved model.  

Reply To Post

5. by GFC
          (842 posts)

9 years ago

Some "shooting star" Conns are a continuation of the line that Art Best Manufacturing was making for Vito at the time Conn acquired it in 1961.  The same model was produced as the Vito (Kenosha) model 38 and the Conn 50m.  Some of the early 50Ms had four digit serial numbers from the Vito line.  Do a comparison of your horn with the pics on the linked page to be sure.

http://doctorsax.biz/vito_conn.htm

A 50M is a good student horn that is worth getting into good playing condition.  Don't worry about cosmetic stuff like spotting.  Relacquers are expensive and they can result in damage to the horn if not done right. 

Reply To Post