Saxophone Forum

by Backinthesaxxleagain
(15 posts)
19 years ago

ConnsaxmanJim or DAve Dix Buescher Tenor

I haven't been smart enough yet to pick up my next sax playing the ebay game, I always get burn't in the end. But here is a Buscher Tenor that looks to good to be true, it has been totally redone silver plated, the serial number almost matches my alto. What do you think of this horn, and how high would you go on a bid. Anyone else care to reply, I would enjoy reading your comments, Thanks The HutchmanBuescherman, that handle is a hell of alot better than Back in the saxxle again... anyway here is the link cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7343118648

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by barimachine
    (323 posts)

19 years ago

Re: ConnsaxmanJim or DAve Dix Buescher Tenor

its not working? also jim im looking for a 12m i know it is good to get the rolled tone holes on it but what if i cant find or afford one i havent seen many 12ms up recently do you know where i could find a good affordable one?

Reply To Post

1. by Backinthesaxxleagain
      (15 posts)

19 years ago

Sorry about that... It worked once and did not work after that. Basically it was a 39 aristocrat tenor silver plated, perfect condition. It had to be completely rebuilt, looks new... Also thee was a Dave Guardala DG 500 GL made of copper85% and brass with Gold finish, that was a beauty, I tried to look these up but there was little info on them. Right now the bid is low about 1200, but it will probably go through the roof. Know anything about them.

Reply To Post

1. by Dave Dix
        (421 posts)

19 years ago

Hi,just had a look and it is a nice sax but its reserve will be high. There are two good buescher tenors worth having on ebay one is a silver big B and the other is my personal favourite the series 1 aristocrat with the smaller bell.This gives the sax plenty of focussed punch which can blow the hair off the front row of the audience with a bit of precision aiming . Here is the link cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Buescher-Aristocrat-tenor-sax_W0QQitemZ7344028370QQcategoryZ16234QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem Dave

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Sorry for the late response. It's a beautiful sax! It looks like it was professionally restored with a lot of care and precision, and kept as close to original as possible. This is one of the nicest Buescher Aristocrats you will ever find without a doubt, and it's probably worth $2500. I wouldn't bid much higher though. As for the 12M, I really think you're better off buying one of the models without the rolled tone holes. Usually they have less problems with leaks; baritones especially. I would look for a 12M made between 1948 and 1968; preferrably one of the Naked Lady models (1934-1959) without rolled tone holes. You'll probably find one cheaper and in better condition, and they are better players. Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by Backinthesaxxleagain
          (15 posts)

19 years ago

Jim Thanks for the reply.2500 is about 1000 more than I want to spend right now, so I will have to pass on that for now. I am only going to go that high when I am convinced that I am not going to let these saxes I plan on getting sit and actually get them out and play them. So I am trying to stay below a 1000 on this next horn. However depending where that Gurdula is I might go up around 2000 and would feel like I stole it. As far as the 12M goes I have been reading many of your post in past forums and you have completely sold me on the 10M. I want one that is in decent shape, needs pads and a little cleanup, for around 1000-1300, and maybe put 300 in to it. That brings up an issue about those revarnish jobs you have had done on several of your horns. You said be careful who you choose, what does this cost from a good technician, and what type of things should you be watchful of.As always thanks, and whats going on three sax guys at home on Friday night, are we getting old or what?

Reply To Post

2. by Backinthesaxxleagain
        (15 posts)

19 years ago

Well I missed it, I got tied up at work, and missed the 3 oclock deadline for a bid, but I will keep looking. I looked at the Buescher Dave and will keep my eye on it. Right now I have my eye on 6 different saxes on ebay. The Big Bell buscher tenor, Yamaha YTS62 tenor, Pro Cannonball Mad Meg tenor, THE DAVE GUARDULA TENOR DG-500GL(my favorite looking sax of the group), a Conn Alto 6m nickel plated (nice one), and a Buescher 1928 Soprano. I am going to get one of them, but am going for a great deal so I will probably miss the ones I really want. How would you rate this group from a value and quality standpoint. Which of the group would be your preference.

Reply To Post

3. by Backinthesaxxleagain
        (15 posts)

19 years ago

Well I missed it, I got tied up at work, and missed the 3 oclock deadline for a bid, but I will keep looking. I looked at the Buescher Dave and will keep my eye on it. Right now I have my eye on 6 different saxes on ebay. The Big Bell buscher tenor, Yamaha YTS62 tenor, Pro Cannonball Mad Meg tenor, THE DAVE GUARDULA TENOR DG-500GL(my favorite looking sax of the group), a Conn Alto 6m nickel plated (nice one), and a Buescher 1928 Soprano. I am going to get one of them, but am going for a great deal so I will probably miss the ones I really want. How would you rate this group from a value and quality standpoint. Which of the group would be your preference.

Reply To Post

4. by barimachine
        (323 posts)

19 years ago

jim is something like this any good cgi.ebay.com/CONN-12M-BARI-SAX-RAW-BRASS-TWO-CASES_W0QQitemZ7343281460QQcategoryZ16233QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem i looks ok but I think i would hold out for the naked lady baris but how much do you think I could end up getting a naked lady for

Reply To Post

5. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

That looks like a pretty good baritone. Naked Lady baritones are getting harder to find. It's hard to find one in nice shape for less than $2000; even more if it does have the rolled tone holes. I would just keep watching ebay. I bought my Conn 6M alto on ebay for $300 "Buy It Now" price! I knew it was worth easily twice that even if it needed some repair. I was surprised when I got the horn that it played very well and all of the pads were perfect! I got very lucky! The horn had been poorly relacquered. Luckily, they hadn't buffed away the engraving or left any marks in the brass. I had it stripped and relacquered by The Wind Works in Burton, MI. I am fortunate enough to have an excellent repair shop less than 5 miles from my home! They set it up for me and it plays very well. Most ebay horns though, plan on putting a couple hundred dollars into repairs and adjustments, or a new case, etc.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

6. by Backinthesaxxleagain
        (15 posts)

19 years ago

Jim or Dave, How much is it to have it relacquered by a pro, and do you know anything about those Guarduka saxes made in germany. I believe LA sax bought them out, but there is one on ebay for about 1350 that looks unbelieveable. I have got the top bids in on the Buescher DAve reccommended, a conn alto 6m, that Buescher 1928 soprano,a conn 16m and buffet clarinet a guy is selling together my bid is 275(why did I do that one, I am watching that 10m conn Naked Lady that is at 710 right now but it is 5 days out, and believe it or not a Martin Acoustic Eric Clapton acoustic guitar( I don't even play. Can you advance me a little mortgage money in the event I win them all? Whhat am I doing, talk about a compulsive buyer once I get the fever. Anyway I might as well add that Guardula if the price is right and it is not a piece of shite.....

Reply To Post

7. by definition
        (963 posts)

19 years ago

Gaurdala horns were made by B&S, and are far from pieces of crap. Good luck and happy bidding, you're braver than I am... That or you just have more money to play withright now

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

8. by Backinthesaxxleagain
        (15 posts)

19 years ago

You hit the nail right on the head, I have a little too much money to play with right now, and have been bitten by the sax bug to expand my collection, which for now is getting a good tenor and hopefully a good soprano. The problem I am having is all of these great altos keep popping up and I would not mind having them either. So I keep bidding on these great horns in hope that I will land one. I am only bidding on above average instruments, (both aestically and tonal quality),and there are so many good ones to choose from so many good brands.You guys have been a great help in helping me identify the pretenders from the real mccoys. Thanks for the info on the Guardula, it is one of the prettiest saxes I have seen, I just wanted to make sure it was not a Monique or some Chinese imitation that was all show and no blow.

Reply To Post

9. by Dave Dix
        (421 posts)

19 years ago

You maybe lucky on one of them, lets hope its a good one!!! There is a naked lady bari on ebay UK for BIN price £850 cgi.ebay.co.uk/VINTAGE-50s-CONN-12M-BARITONE-NAKED-LADY-MODEL_W0QQitemZ7344436830QQcategoryZ16233QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem though the shipping will cost a bit and it needs a new strap ring (easy fix). Good luck with the bueschers Dave

Reply To Post