Saxophone Forum

by vincejon
(6 posts)
5 years ago

need your opinion for kholert soprano saxophone found for sale

Hello,

I am new in this forum. I am actually looking for a cheap yet lets say outstanding soprano saxophone. I want to ask any opinion from you guys. I had found in a website that  deals with a kholert soprano sax for just $325 shipping included. that is only my budget  :'( just want to ask if this is a good one.

If you guys can also give or recommend me the best yet cheap one I will gladly take your advise and accept it.

thanks much in advance,

best regards,

jojo

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by mijderf
    (282 posts)

5 years ago

Re: need your opinion for kholert soprano saxophone found for sale

Cheap yet outstanding probably won't happen.  Recognize that a used horn will generally need tech service (no matter what the ad claims state).  When buying a used sax, I would expect that it might need $100 to $200 minimum service.  If the pads are shot, the minimum can quickly jump to $500.  So you should really have enough budget available to handle this contingency.

I cannot tell from the photos exactly what model Kohlert you are looking at.  Here is a link to a Kohlert sound clip from the Saxquest sight.  

https://www.saxquest.com/product/view/excellent-condition-kohlert-soprano-saxophone-serial-t00467-P11615 

Again, I cannot tell if it is the same model, but it is close to the same age.  This horn sounds nice, but note the price, and the fact that it is not in a fully serviced condition. 

If you had a lot of cash, and wanted to take a gamble on this horn...why not?  But it sounds like that may not be your case.  I would recommend saving up some more money, and then buying a reasonably priced horn from a reputable dealer as the best way to protect your investment.

Good luck!

Reply To Post

1. by vincejon
      (6 posts)

5 years ago

thanks so much for your advise.. how about this one bro ;) because I am fan with vintage saxes..

CONN WURLITZER ELKHART, INDIANA C SOPRANO SAXOPHONE 1920S..

I just bought this instrument for $349 online. with 5 mouthpices and waiting for the instrument to arrive.  just want to confirm with you if i got a good deal for this. actually i am looking for vintage soprano saxophone and i got this one.. base on your expertise, Can you also please tell me what is the advantage and disadvantage of C melody soprano saxophone?  I played saxophone but only alto and tenor..

thanks much..

jojo

Reply To Post

1. by JonHuff
        (117 posts)

5 years ago

Sorry to say I do not think you got a good deal. That is a very old Conn, only goes to high Eb, and from the 1 pad that I can see, the pads look shot. I'd be surprised if it played, and even more surprised if it played decently in tune. Not to mention it is a C soprano and not a Bb. Unfortunately in the world of saxophones, 9/10 times you get what you pay for. 

Reply To Post

2. by GFC
        (842 posts)

5 years ago

A C soprano requires a mouthpiece made for a C soprano.  A Bb soprano mouthpiece won't do.  The large number of mouthpieces that are included with the instrument might be the legacy of a search for a mouthpiece to work with that instrument.  It's not auspicious.

Reply To Post