Saxophone Forum

by kitkat1909
(6 posts)
5 years ago

Help

Hi,

I am new to this forum and looking for help identifying and placing a value on a C.G. Conn Tenor Saxophone.  The numbers on it are  230467.  I added some pics.

TIA,
Elizabeth 

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by mijderf
    (282 posts)

5 years ago

Re: Help

A photograph showing the serial number on the back of the horn below the thumb rest would be helpful.  I say that because the serial number you list suggests that this is a Conn New Wonder II Chu Berry version from 1929 - 1930.  However some of the photos look more like the next generation Conn 10M.  In particular, both B and Bb keys are on the same side of the bell, the F# side key is of the 10M style, and I see a pentagon symbol on the bell.  So I think it is more likely a 10M or a transitional 10M.  A photo of the serial number area might show if this is the correct serial number, since many older horns have worn numbers that can be hard to read.

This very sight has a serial number reference chart:
    https://www.saxophone.org/museum/serialNumbers#manufacturer-13

and it also has photos of many of these horns:

https://www.saxophone.org/museum/saxophones/model/20

The good news is that this looks to be a good pro level horn, and should have good value, but I am not the person that could provide an accurate estimate.  Perhaps someone with current market value knowledge will chime in with a number.

Good luck! 

Reply To Post

1. by kitkat1909
      (6 posts)

5 years ago

Thank you for the response and the infor you provided.  I provided a pic of the number.

Reply To Post

1. by Saxquest
        (420 posts)

5 years ago

I'd be willing to bet that the serial number is actually 280467. The 8 may be a mis-strike or its possible that the front half of the number has been buffed down when the sax was relacquered.

Your sax is definitely a Conn 10M by the key work. However, the Conn 10M did not start production until about 265xxx in serial number. Even the very first prototype 10M saxes, where one can see the development of the new 10M key work, fall in the 247k-260K serial number range. 

Its interesting because usuallly this vintage has a lady face engraved in the pentagram on the bell. However, your's has a star engraved. I've seen this before but only on silver or gold plate versions. So, you're sax may have been silver plate before it was relcquered. Once its restored, it should be a great player. 

Cheers,
             Mark Overton
             www.saxquest.com 

Reply To Post

1. by kitkat1909
          (6 posts)

5 years ago

I think the dust on the horn makes it look like an 8.  So I am adding another pic to really determine and then I can go from there.  Thanks for all your help.

Reply To Post

2. by mijderf
          (282 posts)

5 years ago

I agree with Mark above.  It really cannot be a 3 since the 10M model you show was not made when Conn was making the 230XXX serial number horns.  The number 280XXX would put the horn in 1937 - 1938 which are very desirable years for the 10M.

I suspected that the serial number you posed originally was off, and that was why I aked for a photo of that area.  It is not at all unusual for a horn of that age to have some buffing/wear in the serial number area, especially if the horn has been relacquered since many buff the horn with an abrasive to remove old lacquer or surface contaminants before replating.  I have seen many horns that display this issue. 

Reply To Post

3. by kitkat1909
          (6 posts)

5 years ago

Thank you for the response. Any idea of value as is?

Reply To Post

4. by mijderf
          (282 posts)

5 years ago

Well I have already stated that I am not the best person to assign value, but I'll give it a rough shot that you can use until someone who really knows their stuff chimes in.

First off, the value depends a lot on not just the model and year of the horn, but also on what the condition is and whether the lacquer is original or a relacquer.  Even a rather well worn horn with original lacquer is worth a lot more on the market than a relaq.  (This is crazy to me, but I don't make the rules).  From the photo of your horn, I think it is a relaq.

The next important issue is the playing condition of the horn, and how much extra expense a buyer faces to get the horn to play well.  If this horn has been recently serviced, has good pads (such that any additional service faced by a buyer would be minimal), I would estimate the value of the horn somewhere between $2K and $3K.

From your correspondence, I assume that you are not a player, and the horn has been sitting around for awhile and may need significant service to play well.  A full overhaul of a horn can easily run around $1K, so that would place the horn value in the $1K to $2K range.

I know that this is a broad range, but to get any closer, one would need to inspect the horn, or at the least see a whole lot more photos.  I hope that someone who is really in tune with the market jumps in and gives a better estimate for you. 

Reply To Post

5. by kitkat1909
          (6 posts)

5 years ago

Thanks again you have been a great help.

Reply To Post