Saxophone Forum

by szyszkownik
(3 posts)
5 years ago

Please help in recognizing the saxophone

Hi, I have a quite interesting model of an alto saxophone. 
It looks very old. I was trying to find some information about it but without success. 
Maybe someone can help?
Link to gallery: https://imgur.com/a/himWlFV

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by szyszkownik
    (3 posts)

5 years ago

Re: Please help in recognizing the saxophone

Really no one can help?

Reply To Post

1. by GFC
      (842 posts)

5 years ago

The only thing I can say with certainty is that it's one of the oddest saxophones I've ever seen.  It looks like a merchandiser-branded "stencil" horn made before World War II.  Stencils were made by major manufacturers under contract to merchandisers and tend to be below the quality of the horns sold under the manufacturers' own brands.  Yours has rolled tone holes, which were on horns made by Conn, Keilwerth, Kohlert, and maybe SML.  But its definitely not a Conn model, so that leaves the three European manufacturers as possibilities.  It also has a microtuner on the neck, which was on altos made by Keilwerth and maybe others.  You can explore under the link I'm providing if you really want to figure it out, but there's not a whole lot riding on it in terms of value because it is a dated budget model horn with some funky features (no front F key, crude pinky tables).

http://saxpics.com/

Reply To Post

1. by szyszkownik
        (3 posts)

5 years ago

Thank you very much. It's always some new information. Unfortunately, the saxophone needs to be repaired and I do not know how it sounds.

Do you think it makes sense to renovate it?

Reply To Post

1. by GFC
          (842 posts)

5 years ago

From a player's standpoint it doesn't.  Maybe some repair hobbyist would be interested, or somebody would like to own a truly weird saxophone to show around.  

The bell brace is unique and nonsensical.  It offers very little support to the bell.  What details of the keywork that are visible in the closeups suggest a low level of care taken in its fabrication and construction.  

Reply To Post