Saxophone Forum

by jazzfool132
(144 posts)
19 years ago

Need Help On Appraising 16m Tenor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you think a 1961 Conn 16M Tenor would go for more than $650? IF SO, WHAT IS THE MAXIMUM PRICE FOR ONE OF THESE HORNS?!?!?!? I really need to know this value of this horn, so could anyone help me out? I need to know so I can set a very reasonable price if I plan to sell it. If it is less than 650, than I won't even bother selling it. Also in other discussions many note that these horns are not very valuable but since mine was made in a good year and is excellent condition what is the maximum, most reasonable price that could be asked for a 1961 16m Conn Tenor saxophone? Online waiting, -Josh

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Need Help On Appraising 16m Tenor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Josh, In good condition, it's hard to get more than $650 for a 16M tenor. About 2 years ago, I sold a 1963 Conn 14M alto that was in very nice shape. The sax had been completely repadded, had a brand new case, 2 mouthpieces; the original Conn precision piece and a newer Meyer piece. Also included were a couple reed holders with reeds, a swab, neotech strap, and a polishing cloth. This sax was made in Elkhart, IN, and it played like a dream! I listed it on ebay. It sold for.....are you sitting down? $425!!! which was the reserve price! I bought a 16M tenor from a kid who had played it in jr. high and decided to switch to bass guitar. The sax needed pads and had a couple minor dings, but otherwise it was in good condition. It was about the same year as yours; 1960 or 1961. I had the dings removed and the instrument cleaned and polished, and I replaced the pads and corks, etc. It was also like new. I sold it to a lady who wanted a nice sax for her son to start band for $750; which was just a little more than I had into it. This after the sax failed to sell on ebay for more than $605! The earlier 16M's and 14M's (1955-1968) are good horns. They have good intonation and they play very well. Unfortunately, they were always looked upon as being student model instruments, and the later Mexican built horns even further ruined their reputation. My advice is that you keep this old sax and enjoy it. If it needs minor repair, I'd spend the money to repair it, but when it gets to the point that it needs extensive repair, then I would make a lamp out of it. Believe me, you would be foolish to sell it, because you could never find a sax that nice for less than twice what you could get out of it! Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by jazzfool132
      (144 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Need Help On Appraising 16m Tenor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the insight, Jim! You make a good point. It may be best if I just enjoy the horn for what it is and I will get as much out of it as a can. Thanks, -Josh

Reply To Post