Saxophone Forum

by saxjunkie89
(393 posts)
19 years ago

MARCHING bands

My school is the only high school in our area who is an actual marching band, but other bands who call themselves marching sqads are actually a show band. SO I was wondering, how many of you high schoolers' marching bands are actually MARCHING bands. IF so, what does 8 to 5 mean? Just a survey... saxjunkie89

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxjunkie89
    (393 posts)

19 years ago

Re: MARCHING bands

oh, and do you actually mark time, ya know, with high leg lifts instead of no-motion tippy-toeing?

Reply To Post

1. by jbarisaxman
      (6 posts)

19 years ago

8 steps to 5 yards on a football field

Reply To Post AIM

2. by Sax_Shark
      (134 posts)

19 years ago

Do you mean high mark? (the toes comment)

Reply To Post

1. by saxjunkie89
        (393 posts)

19 years ago

the eight to five is right high mark, however, i never heard of before. I mean mark time as in when a marching band marches in place. Do you actually lift your legs, or feet, off the ground when doing this?

Reply To Post

1. by Sax_Shark
          (134 posts)

19 years ago

Only at certian times during our show. Last year we did it standing still in two or three sets. Mostly only colleges do that type of thing all the time.

Reply To Post

2. by saxjunkie89
          (393 posts)

19 years ago

we're a high school band, though.

Reply To Post

2. by jocb22
        (1 post)

18 years ago

marking time is when you keep your toes on the ground and lift and lower your heels with the beat

Reply To Post

3. by straightj
      (18 posts)

18 years ago

My school's marching band is a real marching band. Our marching style is roll step forward and tip toe backward. We practice many size steps: 8-5, 6-5, 16-5, and even 4-5. In our area of greater Cincinnati, OH, we have a lot of enemies in the area, but we allie with other bands as well. But, our band usually wins (in our class) at competitions.

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
        (984 posts)

18 years ago

Having proudly marched as a drum major in what I call the "traditional style" (real crowd pleasers) as opposed to "corps style" (concert bands on football fields), I'll boldly state that unless your thigh is parallel to the ground when you step, you ain't marchin'

Reply To Post

1. by saxjunkie89
          (393 posts)

18 years ago

i agree

Reply To Post

1. by Imarif
            (7 posts)

18 years ago

The marching band I'm in is really only beginning to get into field shows and real marching, but I still know that 8 to 5 is 8 steps to five yards on the field.

Reply To Post