Saxophone Forum

by wowts
(1 post)
19 years ago

valuing saxophones

is there any manual or website which has information about what different saxophones are worth ? i have been looking to get a tenor and soprano but am never sure whether the price i am being asked is a fair one.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: valuing saxophones

There are a few books that you can order online that will give you the approximate values, but they're not very accurate. The value depends highly on the condition. Watch a few saxophones on ebay to see what they are selling for. That should give you a pretty good idea what these horns will bring on the market. Typically, when I appraise a horn, I look to see what they are selling for on ebay, and then I add about 20% to that price, and that's what I consider the horn to be worth.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by lilli
      (1 post)

19 years ago

If one knows the serial number is there any way to find out the age of the instrument? My son has his heart set on a YAS-23 used. I would prefer a saxophone five years or newer. Any tips?

Reply To Post

1. by piano/windman45
        (4 posts)

19 years ago

yes....if it is a YAS i assume thats a yamaha....google a serial # list for yamaha and it should give the year....or go to a music store they should have a serial # book.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

The age of the saxophone really doesn't make any difference. Actually, some of the older saxophones if they are in good condition, are better players and have a better sound. The most important thing is the condition of the instrument. Often you can find saxophones that are 50 years old that are in much better condition that one that's less than 3 years old that has been put through marching band or used as a weapon!

Reply To Post Yahoo!