Saxophone Forum

by dds54
(3 posts)
5 years ago

Buescher Sax

I found a Buescher Tenor sax the serial number is 5999 , is this horn worth having restored?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GFC
    (842 posts)

5 years ago

Re: Buescher Sax

Serial number puts the production date at 1906.  A horn that old has little value for a player.  If it's in an undamaged condition (straight, no evidence of dent repairs, resolders, etc.) it might be of interest to a collector.  Restore it only if you want to keep it as a collector's item.  Do not restore it if you intend to sell it.  The value of a collector's horn is highly subjective and does not necessarily translate to market value.

Reply To Post

1. by dds54
      (3 posts)

5 years ago

Thank you for the input, I’m going to hold onto it for a while, I was going to “cut it up” and make a custom horn with it, but may have it restored to hang on the wall of my studio and look at it, it is tarnished but not worn through with a dent from the guard on the bow, it may just stay like that and hang on the wall too ????
      Do you know who has the original Buescher Records to find out how many tenor saxophones were made in 06?

Reply To Post

1. by GFC
        (842 posts)

5 years ago

There's historical information on Buescher under the Saxophone Museum tab on this site, and under the following link:

http://saxpics.com/?v=ser&manID=1

Buescher also has a pretty decent Wikipedia page.  

1920s Bueschers are pretty good candidates for custom conversion because they are cheap and plentiful and get praise for tone and intonation while getting condemnation over their keywork.  But be sure the tube is a good one with good intonation; it would be a shame to put all the effort of customization into a bad tube.

Reply To Post

1. by dds54
          (3 posts)

5 years ago

Thanks for the link , i have also looked at wiki but the information I was looking for is the actual production numbers of each instrument that Buescher band instrument company  made in the early years ( 1905 and up ) and from what I was told a few hrs ago is that those records were destroyed years ago .

I do have another one that I am going to use for a custom project  and still feel bad for cutting it up :) 

Reply To Post