Saxophone Forum

by mgictwnger
(46 posts)
5 years ago

What is your favorite model Buescher?

There seem to be a lot of players who are still performing on, or at least own, vintage Bueschers. I myself play a Tru-Tone straight sop from 1926. Despite the dated keywork and some intonation issues, I love it for the sound. 
So who is playing Tru-Tone or other pre-Selmer buyout models and why?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
    (644 posts)

5 years ago

Re: What is your favorite model Buescher?

I do a lot of refurbishing and usually bend more towards Conn, as far as my personal collection goes.

But Buescher has a good following. German players love them. Classical players have a great following.

In fact, I just this morning arranged the purchase of a 1925-early 26 true tone alto. It does not have a front F. Conn had the patent on this feature and 1926 was the first year Buescher was legal to use the design due to the patent owned by Conn.

I am very excited about this one. It is gold plated. Absolutely no damage. All original snap in resonators. Original neck, sturdy original case, and a crisp 1925 Buescher brochure. Striking deep engraving. Not even one bow ding.

I have become so disgruntled with Ebay that I think I will document the  refurbishing of this jewel here on this site, from start to striking finish,  and then sell it in the trading post here. Unless I decide to add it to my Collection, which probably will be the situation. There are so many beat up overpriced horns on Ebay that it just brings down the price of the jewels.

To answer the question to what is my personal favorite Buescher model....

Not a true Buescher, but I have an early release Elkhart Tenor. Elkhart was a business arrangement between Conn and Buescher, in which both companies owners came together to develop this third company together. This horn has pad cups that allow for a perfect fit of Conn Resonator pads, yet has some definitely Buescher features. In later years Elkhart Band Instrument company was taken over by buescher, and "the Elkhart" saxophones became a student line under Buescher. The older horns are large bore monsters that put out a lot of sound when set up correctly.

This company, The Elkhart Band instrument company, along with Dolnet and Kohlert are saxophone producers that are not part of the museum here on this site. I personally find that discouraging, as all three produced wonder instruments in the pro line.

Reply To Post

1. by GFC
      (842 posts)

5 years ago

This past weekend I got to lay my eyes on a real live 1928 Conn Artist Special finish alto, gold plated, exquisitely engraved, burnished, and in perfect condition. The lucky guy got it at a local music store who didn't know what they had, who got it from the executors of an estate who didn't know what they had.  I had to laugh.

Reply To Post

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
        (644 posts)

5 years ago

Those situations are getting more rare every day.

I still hope to find a Conn O Sax someday at a garge sale.

Think how many people would look at one and not realize what it is?

English horn? Some old piece of junk?

A simple internet check usually tell the story.

Reply To Post