Saxophone Forum

by whatever
(9 posts)
19 years ago

glass mouthpiece

whats up, I play my grandfathers old Matte silver conn Chu Berry alt sax....but thats not the point. With it he had a Selmer glass alto sax mouthpiece that i cant seem to find any info about on the internet at all. As a matter of fact i have never even heard of one before this. Is that for a reason? Anyway i was just kind of if they are worth somthing or not. Any help will be appreaciated. Thankyou, John

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by whatever
    (9 posts)

19 years ago

Re: glass mouthpiece

sorry for my terriable grammer...

Reply To Post

1. by SaxAppeal
      (67 posts)

19 years ago

e dunt kno howe ta reed

Reply To Post

2. by whatever
    (9 posts)

19 years ago

i love you too.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Glass mouthpieces were somewhat of an "experiment" several years ago. Supposedly, they provided better sustain and a "bell-like" sound. They never really were all that popular. I think many people. myself included, questioned the durability of the mouthpieces, and the idea of putting glass in your mouth; in the event that someone bumped into you, or a piece chipped off. That could be dangerous. I think there is a company that still makes glass mouthpieces. If your piece is a Selmer, it might be worth something. I would try listing it on ebay and see what it'll bring. Start your bid out at the lowest price you would want to sell it for, or set a reserve price and see what happens. You might even google glass saxophone mouthpiece and see what you can find. Cool sax though! I have a Chu alto and tenor, and they sure sound great!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by SaxMan
        (559 posts)

19 years ago

there is no such thing as a "glass" mouthpiece. There are clear plastic mouthpieces, which I have seen made by all sorts of companies (including selmer usa, but for clar.) - mostly for students...showy pieces. The pro ones are made out of crystal - crystal is a lot more durable, harder and harder to crack. additionally, crystal can't shatter. Your better watches have crystal..."windows" My fossils, relics and citizens all have harde lives of recreational vehicle trips, oil changes and so on - I have never so much as scratched one yet. the material a mouthpiece is made of, affects the tone little at all. the design is over 98 percent of the piece. (unless you were to try say, make one out of styrofoam.) Nothign is going to chip off in your mouth while playing a crystal mouthpiece - I used to have a couple brilhart tonalites - they were my main jazz pieces for a while and they never did anything adverse. hell, I even dropped them, on average I would say once every 5 days and nothing happened. I have a clarinetist friend who has a pomarico mouthpiece that he has dropped numerous times - it has a crack in it, but it is only cosmetic. If you do play it though, I would recomend having your tech band the shank, much the same way bake a lite, wood and earlier rubber pieces were. (actually many rubber pieces are still banded, but you just can't tell - the thing on the soloist is structural, the s-80 is REALLY thick at the beginning of the shank etc.) just to strengthen the shank a bit. hell, I have that done to all of my more valuable pieces.

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

19 years ago

Is it a special kind of crystal that doesn't shatter? I've seen crystal glasses shatter when a tone resonance is of a particular frequency. Of course the mouthpiece would be much thicker, but I would imagine it could shatter if the conditions were right.

Reply To Post

2. by SaxMan
          (559 posts)

19 years ago

well crystal can break, but not shatter - something to do with the tempering or material - not sure - if oyu get the glass's natural frequency going in it - it'll break, but I don't think it will really shatter....just break into MANY MANY small pieces - the edges shouldn't be too sharp, I mean.

Reply To Post