Saxophone Forum

by Adolphes_Army
(1 post)
5 years ago

Old Selmer Model

Greetings...

I'm curious about this instrument which has been in the family for years.

I wonder which model it is and am looking for advice about value and having it restored and preserved.

Thanks!

1 2 3 4

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GFC
    (842 posts)

5 years ago

Re: Old Selmer Model

Under the Museum tab on this site you can find production date information by serial number.  You can also find estimated going dealer (not private sale) prices for vintage instruments, assuming perfect condition, under the following link.  

https://www.saxgourmet.com/vintage-saxophone-value-guide/

1920s Selmers are mainly of interest to collectors.  My guess is that you would not be able to recoup the cost of restoration through its sale price, so your best course would be to sell it as-is to someone for whom that is not an issue.

Reply To Post

2. by historicsaxwhisperer
    (644 posts)

5 years ago

It looks like a model 22. It was started in 1922. Basing on the serial number.

It looks to be gold plated and the engraving face looks to be silver.

It would be very beautiful, but I agree with GFC, not necessarily a desired model.

Good Luck

Reply To Post

3. by historicsaxwhisperer
    (644 posts)

5 years ago

But, If you are looking for someone to refurbish it, that is what I do as my leisure time away from a day bank career. My quiet time....

Now I look back and realize I've been doing this for 25 years. Good work is not cheap. I dont charge retail, but I dont give work away either..... It should play better than new when you have it done right. Shop around.

Good Luck!

Reply To Post