Saxophone Forum

by Jillda
(4 posts)
5 years ago

How old is my sax

Hi there,

I am new to this forum.

I was recently given a sax and I decided to start playing it. I've had the sax serviced and I've been for a few lessons but I would really like to know if anyone could tell me something about this make and/or model.

How old is it? Maybe even where it was made?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GFC
    (842 posts)

5 years ago

Re: How old is my sax

The country of origin isn't stamped on it anywhere?

I have kind of a vague hunch that it's a European student model from 40+ years ago, but there's not a lot more to be said without more photos with much more detail - keywork, bell brace, engraving, etc.  But don't lose too much sleep over it because sometimes the production history of such horns is kind of obscure.

Reply To Post

1. by Jillda
      (4 posts)

5 years ago

Will these help?

Reply To Post

1. by GFC
        (842 posts)

5 years ago

It looks like a little later model horn than the ones I was thinking of. It's got  a more modern bell key cluster and one piece bell keys.  

The "R" stamp on the bell brace is a trademark of Rampone & Cazzani, an Italian company.  R&C has been making a student model called the "Super" since the 1980s.  

Images that come up under "Rampone Cazzani Super" search show some distinctive features similar to yours, the key guard feet and the attachment of the post on a collar below the neck tenon in particular.  Give them a look and see what you think.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=rampone+CAZZANI+super&qpvt=rampone+%26+Cazzanni+Super&FORM=IQFRML

Enjoy your good fortune to have a free saxophone, serviced and in playable condition, to learn on.  But also be aware that the total value of the horn will be less than the cost of an overhaul if you are ever facing a situation where it needs one.

Reply To Post

1. by Jillda
          (4 posts)

4 years ago

Apologies for the very late response. Thank you for responding. 

Reply To Post

2. by lelandolson
        (2 posts)

4 years ago

you got pictures?

Reply To Post

1. by Jillda
          (4 posts)

4 years ago

Hi there. Pics are in the previous comments. 

Reply To Post