Saxophone Forum

by historicsaxwhisperer
(644 posts)
5 years ago

Odd Later Version Martin Handcraft Imperial Tenor

I had this horn on my repair table over the weekend for some minor touch up cork work,

The pictures show some interesting histoical keying.

Note the around the front Forked E flat key cup.This was used for awhile and I am not sure exactly when. None of the examples in the museum here have it.

Notice the tie in with the high D and high E flat cup. I enjoyed playing the horn and noticed this tie in so both cups are activated by using the E flat key was fun. Players that use false fingerings may find it problematic.

Notice the enlarged upper thumb rest which I have never seen in conjunction with the around front Forked E flat key.

Notice the odd shaped Key guard cage and the nonadjustable lower thumb rest.

Notice the solidly braced neck, also not seen in the museum pictures.

Anyway, Martins play wonderfully, but are often very allusive as to when they were made.

This horn has nickel keys that have been lacquered golden at one point. I assume the entire horn is a nicely done relacquer. It plays great and is now ready for many more years of enjoyment.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by JonHuff
    (117 posts)

5 years ago

Re: Odd Later Version Martin Handcraft Imperial Tenor

What a wild horn, thanks for sharing!

Reply To Post

2. by GFC
    (842 posts)

5 years ago

Re: Odd Later Version Martin Handcraft Imperial Tenor

The art-deco engraving on 1930s horns has always been my favorite.

I seem to recall the linked D - E flat mechanism being a feature of the Handcraft Troubador model that preceded this one.  Maybe it's a transitional feature.

Reply To Post