Saxophone Forum

by alikamalia007
(1 post)
19 years ago

Two saxes at once...

I've been playing sax for 7 years... and I'm just learning how to play 2 saxes at once... I almost have the right embouchure. anybody have any tips? And when you do that, can you only play the top couple keys on both? Thanx

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by KA
    (1 post)

7 years ago

Re: Two saxes at once...

I literally just started trying to play tenor and bari at the same time (like over the last hour).  My first task was customizing my harness, but I still need more stability.   I can get air through both but need more bari mouthpiece in my mouth to get equal sound from both.  Any embouchure tips?  I've arranged a part for this particular case so that's no issue.  Executing it is.  (New here, don't crucify me yet, lol!!). Thanks all!!!  KA

Reply To Post

2. by kelsey
    (930 posts)

7 years ago

My advice is learn to play one saxophone really well, then play one saxophone. 

Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

3. by Saxshrike
    (3 posts)

7 years ago

Roland Kirk used to play three saxes at once.  He apparently had an enormous mouth in order to hold three mouthpieces.  I tried this years ago with a tenor and an alto.  Using the uuper stack I was able to simultaneously play Sentimental Journey.  However, except as a stunt, I can't imagine why you'd want to do this - it doesn't sound very good as I recall.

If you're determined to do this, your left hand will play the upper register and the palm keys.  This will let you run the scale from G to F in the upper register and G to C# in the middle register.  You'll need the octave key for the upper register, of course.

Now the tricky part is playing the upper stack on the second horn with your right hand.  You'll be able to play the lower and middle register from G up to C# and the high F.  By pressing the high F key without pressing the C key and using the octave key you can get a high E.  The palm keys will be out of reach.  You can press the octave key with your right thumb.  BUT, both horns will swing loose from the neckstrap and you'll loose some control over your embouchure as a result.  Having two mouthpieces inside your mouth at once is likely to make the resultant sound less than pleasant.  Good luck with your stunt!

Reply To Post

4. by Sax Mom
    (964 posts)

19 years ago

I guess that depends on whether you have ten fingers or twenty! :-)

Reply To Post

1. by GzsKerqt
      (77 posts)

19 years ago

and a big mouth=p

Reply To Post

5. by mattdude
    (74 posts)

19 years ago

do not waste your time. there is absolutely no use, practical or impractical

Reply To Post

6. by jamterry
    (573 posts)

19 years ago

You can do some cool stuff with a tenor and alto. I always play the alto with the lefthand because it is capable of higher notes, lighter, and i am used to using the palm keys with my left hand. If you get your high harmonics nailed you can get the tenor up really high too. If you know a trumpet player, you can really fill in the holes. You can blow some punchy riffs. I recommend working on some motown and soul funk tunes to practice your technique. Don't let anybody tell that it is a waste of time. Have fun with it !!!! Practice on :)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by mattdude
      (74 posts)

19 years ago

what i think would be more interesting would be two players next to eachother. the one on the right plays his right hand and the person on the left's left hand. the person on the left plays his right hand and the person on the right's left hand... their arms woudl be like crossed and have to play half their part half the other part.. at the same time. i'm actually kinda serious about trying that cos that'd be cool. gonna find somebody at my school who'd be willing to try..

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
        (964 posts)

19 years ago

Sounds like fun! Good luck!

Reply To Post

2. by saxmanT
      (12 posts)

19 years ago

Hey......Coltrain, Parker etc.......they were all told what they were doing was crazy at first. Look where it got them. If you have an idea.......try it. What's the worst that can happen? It won't go and you have a little wasted time.......you will still get something out of it, no matter how big or small. Good luck!

Reply To Post

1. by EL Seano
        (255 posts)

19 years ago

EEK! Mr Todd, please spell Mr. Coltrane's name correctly. Thankyou :-) Sean

Reply To Post

1. by saxmanT
          (12 posts)

19 years ago

Whoops......my bad. I've been doin' 16hr shifts instead of 12 for a week, so I'm a little out of it lately. I'll do 30 minutes of longtones in the corner. Thanks for the correction

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I've seen this guy in the Flint area named Bob Adado. (I probably spelled his last name wrong). He's a fantastic player. He sings, plays sax and trumpet, and uses background tracks. He does this bit where he puts on a big sombraro and plays 2 trumpets at a time. It's very cool! Unfortunately, sax really requires both hands. I play keyboard, and I have tried to play sax and keyboard at the same time; playing keyboard with the right hand and sax with the left. It's nearly impossible. My advice is.........learn trumpet if you want to do that! Great idea though! Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by saxophonik
          (73 posts)

19 years ago

I believe it was Roland Kirk who played three horns at once, but he made MAJOR modifications to the key systems to be able to play chords. There's no reason you can't experiment! Have fun, and who knows, you might be pleasantly suprised by the results. Good luck!!

Reply To Post