Saxophone Forum

by Lonely Wolf
(2 posts)
5 years ago

Metal mouthpiece?

Hello, and thank you for taking the time to read this! I’m curently heading into my senior year of high school and have been playing for about seven years, give or take. But in that span, I’ve only played hard rubber mouthpieces. I currently own a Vandoren Optimum AL5 and a Vandoren V16 A6S+. Can anyone suggest any metal mouthpieces that can be used primarily for jazz, but can be used for classical (probably won’t use it for concert band, but it’s fun to have different mouthpieces not intended for that environment) under $200?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
    (644 posts)

5 years ago

Re: Metal mouthpiece?

To get a very informative answer, you will have to elaborate if you play Alto or Tenor.

I played an Otto Link 5* on tenor for everything in HS.

When I went to College and seriously studied traditional saxophone, I played an R Caravan for "Legit" music.

When I was in HS, the lead alto played on a metal selmer alto piece.

Johnny Hodges played a metal otto link on alto.

I am an old guy (55) from the past, so I am not familiar with all the very different pieces out today. In the old days we simply did long tones, developed our own sound and did not have mouthpiece designers making so many options. There are just so many choices today. Really too many to ask the general public.

Do you have a private lesson instructor to ask?

I am sure there will be a few suggestions that are better than mine.

Good Luck

Reply To Post

1. by Lonely Wolf
      (2 posts)

5 years ago

I play alto, sorry for not clarifying. And no, I don’t have a private instructor. Many past and current directors have advised me to get lessons, but I don’t have the money or time. 

Reply To Post

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
        (644 posts)

5 years ago

With that being said, your user name makes sense.

Figure out who you like. Find out what they use.

Is it Sanborn? Is it Phil Woods? Is it Grace Kelly?

Long tones, concentrating on that sound in your head that

you want to hear come out of your horn.

You can get lots of used mouthpieces off Ebay. Look for strong sellers with 100% feedback. Listen to their descriptions and match up the sound you want to their description.

I am sure you will hear from some alto players soon. Ones more "today", which is not my thing. My sound is still stuck in 1962.

Good Luck.

Reply To Post