Saxophone Forum

by Sixtylersix
(3 posts)
5 years ago

Need help with I'd?

I have a Martin saxophone serial number is 86635 but none of the ones that I can find on the internet have the same engraving on it so I'm not sure what it really is.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by mijderf
    (282 posts)

5 years ago

Re: Need help with I'd?

You have a Martin Indiana model saxophone.  If you go to the Martin story webpage (http://www.themartinstory.net/version7/whatyou-company-info.php) you will find the following information in larger, bold text.
    (Also, here is a link to a serial number chart that shows that your serial number agrees with the RMC ownership years:  http://saxpics.com/?v=ser&manID=14)

In 1961, Paul Richards formed the Richards Music Corporation, by merging Martin, Blessing and Reynolds,
    (In this periode Martins carry a the RMC marking, which officially stands for Roundtable of musical Craftsmen, NOT (officially) for Richards Music Corporation)

In 1963, Richards Music was dissolved

Reply To Post

1. by Sixtylersix
      (3 posts)

5 years ago

Would you be able to tell me the approximate value of this sax?

Reply To Post

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
        (644 posts)

5 years ago

The Martin Indianas are nice playing horns.

They are very common. There are a lot, more like way too many, vintage horns in this category. It would require a few hundred dollars to 500 bucks to get it playing nicely. After that is done, it would be valued in the 600 to 750 range.

As is, it  literally has just  a few hundred dollars value.

If it does not have a case, it would be less.

If it does not have a neck, it is a parts horn in the $75.00 range.

Your picture just shows one part of a saxophone.

Good Luck!

Reply To Post

1. by Sixtylersix
          (3 posts)

4 years ago

It was a 1927 Martin co. Hand crafted. Guy at local brass shop says it just needs new pad on n flat..sound rite to you.
          To me it's strange that its the only martin that had no design at all on the horn and just days Elkhart. And the later ones from 50s had the same design?

Reply To Post

2. by mijderf
          (282 posts)

4 years ago

That answer does not seem right.  In your last photo you show the RMC label above the serial number.  RMC stands for Richards Music Corporation.  This horn is marked "Indiana" on the bell, and has the RMC symbol.  Here is a quote from "The Martin Story" website:

In 1961, Paul Richards formed the Richards Music Corporation, by merging Martin, Blessing and Reynolds,
          (In this periode Martins carry a the RMC marking, which officially stands for Roundtable of musical Craftsmen, NOT (officially) for Richards Music Corporation)

It appears that whoever told you it was a Handcraft from the 20's got that from the serial number.  But the Indiana's had their own serial number series that many confuse with the professional model serial numbers. The Martin Indiana serial numbers ran from about 26K to 90K.  See this site for more information:
          http://www.themartinstory.net/version7/models-indiana.php

Reply To Post