Saxophone Forum

by historicsaxwhisperer
(644 posts)
5 years ago

Curved Conn New Wonder 1 Soprano Neckstrap Advice

Hello All or should I say You Few that read these.

I picked up a 1921-22 (64XXX) Conn Curved Soprano that I have had my eye on for a few years.

The owner finally decided to let me have it. They dont play, but it belonged to Mom at one time.  These horns are wonderful players as anyone that has played one is aware.

BUT....

The neckstrap hook location is truly just there to make it look like a miniature alto.

It should be closer to the thumb rest. I am not going to move it.

I took a gander on line and realized nobody uses a neckstrap with these.

My issue is that I am all over a saxophone. I cannot play it to my ability without either a neck strap helping to support it or sitting with it, having it sit on a folded towel on my thigh.

A neckstrap has to be adjusted/pulled all the way up to my neck, like a dog collar, for the distance to be correct to my mouth and the neckstrap hook.

Any suggestions of a different type strap? I think I can make one with a heavy shoe string that will work and still fit over my huge Scottish head. It is probably about getting the distance right without having the mid range length adjustment in play.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by mijderf
    (282 posts)

5 years ago

Re: Curved Conn New Wonder 1 Soprano Neckstrap Advice

Have you considered a Just Joe's strap?  He makes them to custom lengths and he shows how to make sizing measurements on his site.

Reply To Post

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
      (644 posts)

5 years ago

No I have never heard of Just Joe's strap.

But, I am pretty old school and dont get on line much unless I am slow here at work.

I used a shoe string and got a good length and feel. Thanks for the lead.

I am looking for a permanant solution.

Reply To Post

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
        (644 posts)

5 years ago

Wow, checked out Just Joe's strap.

79.00 for a neck strap.

It better play the sax by itself during breaks for that price.

Proof people will buy anything if you put it on a web site.

I'll cut the hook off one of my old straps and make my own.

Really?? 79.00 for a neck strap?

Reply To Post

1. by mijderf
          (282 posts)

5 years ago

If you go to the “Purchase“ header he sells cosmetic seconds for $65.  Still a lot of money, but it is the most comfortable strap I have used.  And they hold up well over time (I bought mine years ago at a lower price).  To be honest I have never detected any cosmetic flaws on mine. 

Reply To Post

2. by mijderf
          (282 posts)

5 years ago

Here is option you might prefer.  Back in the mid 60's I had an old style alto sax neckstrap.  The string broke on me (I caught the horn before it fell).  So I just tied the string back together with a square knot and kept goiing.  It did shorten the strap length, but I adjusted the slider down to where it worked fine.  That night, I took glue and coated the string in the area of the knot so that it wouldn't come undone, and played with that strap for another few years.  I was in high school then, and the idea of getting a new strap never even occurred to me back then.

If aesthetics don't matter, you could give this a try. 

Reply To Post

3. by historicsaxwhisperer
          (644 posts)

5 years ago

Thank you for the info.

Yeah, I am kinda cheap. I have a few of the older style neckstraps. I think I can just shorten the length at the connections to the back of neck comfort strip, after pulling the little bakelite adjuster way down, so when I pull it up its not a dog collar. They always have a metal hook, which is why you see such abuse to the hook ring area on vintage horns. For use on a curved soprano, its just support, not weight.

I still use the simple nylon Ray Hyman strap with no back neck support strip on tenor and alto.

I hate the feel of it on my collar, so it feels best for me straight to skin. I do have an indentation on my neck, like the one under my wedding ring. I guess I play too much.

Attached is a picture of my new toy. I was looking for a Bari a few months back. I jumped around from a Mark VI, to a Buffet, to a Conn, then to a Martin.

So what do I settle on?  A Buescher Big B Aristicrat from 1954. I decided at the awesome private sale price, the fact 1954 was when Selmer took over the market, This was probably the best deal on an American made Bflat Bari with a front F I was going to find. Its quite a nice unbeat up piece. Original lacquer and neck.

I Digress, but sometimes waiting is the best move.

My collection is now complete.

I got all the horns I need for any quartet voicing I may come across.

Reply To Post

4. by mijderf
          (282 posts)

5 years ago

It sounds like you have a great horn lineup.  My first instrument was clarinet, so I have never really felt like I need a soprano, so my lineup isn’t as complete.  My first sax was a ‘63 Buescher 400 alto, so I have always had a soft spot for Bueschers.  Hope you enjoy the new additions to your collection. 

Reply To Post