Saxophone Forum

by AlexEik
(11 posts)
4 years ago

Berg Larsen stainless steel MP squeaking on high notes.

Hi, I just recently bought a berg Larsen 110/0 for my bari. I play in jazz at my high school and wanted a new mouthpiece. I love it, the low register comes out super easy and sounds great and the middle range isn't as stuffy as my old MP. the only problem is anything about G seems to have a chance to squeak at the beginning of the note.  Haven't had the mouthpiece for that long so maybe I just need to adjust. It's only when I articulate the note. If I were to slur all the way up it wouldn't squeak. im wondering if it might just be the mouthpiece since their hand finished and that leaves a little room for error. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
    (644 posts)

4 years ago

Re: Berg Larsen stainless steel MP squeaking on high notes.

Sounds like a reed strength issue with the new mouthpiece.

I am a tenor player and have just started playing a 1954 Buescher Bari on a few charts. I dont have enough experience on the big horn to be more helpful, but with your past reed chipping issue, I would think that may be your issue here.

Good Luck

Reply To Post

1. by AlexEik
      (11 posts)

4 years ago

So do you think a softet or harder reed would help? I play on jazz select 3M right now but I shipment of an assorted vanodoren reeds is coming soon so Maybe that'll help. Also I'm not chipping reeds anymore. I'm still using the same reeds. not sure what I changed but I'm not complaining. 

Reply To Post

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
        (644 posts)

4 years ago

To be honest, I think you just need to get use to the new mouthpiece.

Give it some time and effort. Play it both slowly and faster. In time I bet you will figure it out.

As a newer Bari playe,r that has years of Tenor experience, I realize the big horn is a totally different beast. You minutely bend a not on a Bari like you are playing a tenor, and you get all sorts of different aspects.

The mind is a powerful thing. It knows what it wants as a result, so it may just take some time for it to make your embachure do it. If you have access to some more experienced players, let them try your setup and see if they get the same issue.

Good Luck

Reply To Post