Saxophone Forum

by historicsaxwhisperer
(644 posts)
4 years ago

Still Inspired by Sonny Rollins

Sonny Rollins has inspired me since i literally was a child.

I remember a television commercial that showed him walking onto "The Bridge" for his evening of solitude blowing to the wind. As he is pushing 90, he no longer can play. He remembers times not too long ago, a few years back, where he was still playing 3 hours a day.

Coltrane played on an altered Otto Link 6 facing. So more a 5* with his added baffle.

Rollins was known for playing on an Otto Link 10 facing and carving down Baritone reeds for the longer vibration table on the reed and the extra strength. A true monster player.

Rollins feels somewhat lost now that he cant play anymore.....

So at 56, I ask myself, how many hours of my remaining life will I truly spend playing my horn? I do have a friend that is 93 and still playing his 1946 Zephyr Baritone and Super Balanced Action alto he picked up after coming home from war.

If I would rather be doing something else, I guess that shows why Rollins is still my Living legend.

My thought for today.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by mijderf
    (282 posts)

4 years ago

Re: Still Inspired by Sonny Rollins

Well if it helps, I am 69 and still play 2 to 3 hours a day.  So at 56 you shoud have many years of saxophone enjoyment ahead of you.  Always enjoyed Sonny Rollins sound (tone and expression).  I believe Houston Person is still playing into his 80's.  As long as you are in good health and good physical shape, you should be able to play for a good long time.

Reply To Post

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
      (644 posts)

4 years ago

Well, since I posted this a month ago, I have dived face first back into playing. I get 4 or 5 days a week of solid playing. My goal to a daily session, even if all I have time for is 10 minutes of warming the horn up. I have found the internet, you tube, is a wonderful place to find backup music, plug in your earphones and play along. This is something i didn't have in the 80's, when I was last so dedicated. I had to go out to smoky bars to play with people that did not take it as seriously as you tube.

My 93 year old Baritone playing friend has passed away. I am so happy I got back into serious practicing/working out  prior to his passing. His priceless horns sit dormant. I only hope his large extended and somewhat well to do family realize how wonderful his horns are. Not my place to step in.

I have rediscovered the power and perfection of Lew Tabackin. In my opinion, he is one of the greatest on the spot monsters out there. His joy is playing in his basement with players half his age. Letting them build their confidence, then humiliating their egos by the end of the evening. Thats my kind of player.  Thanks again Sonny Rollins for inspiring so many.

Keeping my reeds wet in Cincy

Reply To Post

1. by F35H
        (16 posts)

4 years ago

Aye, it's great to hear all ages interested. One of the first songs I learned is Sonny Rollin's St. Thomas. Although I'm more into the advant-guarde stuff, there's no doubt all the greats and classics should have an influence on any players' lives.

Personally, I'm very young, just starting my carreer in fact. I've been running this horn every night for atleast an hour, working through the classics. Soloing is my one weakness, but as I start getting into composing and voicing, it slowly just becomes better as it should.

Reply To Post