Saxophone Forum

by The_§ax
(147 posts)
19 years ago

Mouthpiece Choices...

Hi Guys, I am deciding to buy a new mouthpiece or two. I play mainly Big Band Lead Alto, and also Alto Sax in the local Concert Band. My teacher has reccommended the Runyon Custom, Runyon Finesse and also the Runyon Jazz. Price is a thing for me to consider that's why I sticking with the Runyons. What do you guys out there reccommend? For Lead in Big Band, and in Concert Band. Thanks a lot guys!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by definition
    (963 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Mouthpiece Choices...

Id go with the Custom, and get the spoiler with it. But remember to take the spoiler out fer concert band!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by The_§ax
      (147 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks. I think I will buy it from Charlie A's gigdust.com It seems to be the cheapest place that I have found so far. But the Shipping costs are expensive.

Reply To Post

1. by kennyj
        (24 posts)

19 years ago

Important to know ---- How old are you? What type of jazz bands? How long have you been playing? Current brand of mouthpiece, and what brand of horn are you playing? Your future goals in sax performance? As far as the Runyan's are concerned, they are a fairly consistant quality mouthpiece. Art Pepper played on a standard (no spoiler) custom model for some time, until he switched to Meyer. Besides Art Pepper, I really know of no other major player who used or endorsed Runyan. I have found that most Runyan's lack a solid core to their sound. This will effect your projection, and give you a rather weak lead-sound, overall. It may sound good and loud to you, where you are playing, but the sound will get lost past the bandstand. Most of the major players, such as Phil Woods, Richie Cole, Greg Abate, all play Meyer mouthpieces. It is in the nature of the physical attributes of the Meyer design to allow you to project your own personal sound, with greater control than most mouthpieces out there. As I've mentioned in other posts, sometimes the mass-production of some of these mouthpieces caused certain anomalies in quality to occur, but overall, they are quite consistant, and fine playing mouthpieces. They are also quite affordable. And as I've mentioned before, as well, if you wish the perfect Meyer, purchase a Morgan. They are about $30 or so more than a Meyer, but well worth the expense. I could suggest certain facings for you to try, if I knew more about you, answering my questions above. ii-V-I kenny j
        kennyj

Reply To Post