Saxophone Forum

by historicsaxwhisperer
(644 posts)
4 years ago

1942 Otto Link Tone Master Ligature Options

I recently picked up a 1942 Otto Link Tone Master Tenor mouthpiece.

The piece is an original six (6) facing and has never been altered or damaged. Reeds seem to not seal well. In general.

I emailed Theo wayne, who told me this is very normal and it is probably NOT the reeds but the long baffled design of the mouthpiece. If I intend to play it and not have it altered or worked on, softer reeds will work best.

Does anyone have any input on ligatures that may work good on this Legendary Vintage Coletrane era and facing piece? I really enjoy playing it. I cant seem to be able to put it dowm. Im just looking for a better seal, so I can step up the reed strength.

I have been using a 9* super tone master, but I need a harder reed on the Tonemaster .

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by JonHuff
    (117 posts)

4 years ago

Re: 1942 Otto Link Tone Master Ligature Options

Unfortunately I'm not sure there's a good solution to this. i imagine you are thinking about using some kind of ligature that you can "crank" down on the reed in hopes of forcing it to seal. Not sure that's going to work, at least in the long run, as the tension on the lig would strip those screws over time. I know the piece is original, but ultimately the table really should be flattened. You don't have to mess with the facing. 

Reply To Post

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
      (644 posts)

4 years ago

Thanks for the input Jon.

The piece belonged to a friend of mine that passed at 92. He played mostly Bari, but had a nice 1942 Martin Committee II, and this was with it. I wont alter it. I picked up a few horns and mouthpieces and literally 65 years of big band charts. He played in bands starting at 16, then went into WWII as a Marine. Then worked for P&G. All along, playing in dance bands till two weeks before he passed.

I have a Selmer Metal mouthpiece ligature I used on  STM in the past, circa 1980 Lew Tabackin style, and that seemed to be more comfortable last night. Not perfect, but less cumbersome that the Link Ligs.

But, I do agree, to fix the problem will require evening out the reed lay area. I think I can deal with its issues. It is so loud. Subtones and growling is better than I thought.

Its nice to see someone having input on vintage American horrns and outfits.

That is my thing. It seems to quickly becoming a special niche.

Reply To Post

2. by historicsaxwhisperer
      (644 posts)

4 years ago

I realized the table of my Tone master was a bit tarnished. I could barley read the facing.

So I took a piece of 360 varnish polishing paper and placed it on my reed working sheet of glass. Then I lightly ran the table across it in a length wise direction, After a few light sweeps, the tarnish was removed, the facing shows crisp, and reeds seal perfectly. No metal was removed, just the tarnish.

So, thank you for enlightening me enough to clean it a bit better. I am more inclined to leave things as is rather than think I can make it better. I realized the brass was tougher than the paper, so I gave it a try.

Reply To Post