Saxophone Forum

by Shazaam
(1 post)
4 years ago

Need advise whether Alto or Tenor to begin.

Heyy I'm in my early twenties and I can not make up my mind which one should i buy and start with, Tenor or Alto? As its got a significant cost to and I have very less education and guidance for this I would be grateful for some insight from the forum fellow members. Also what other things or questionsa should i be asking as a Aspirant.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by mijderf
    (282 posts)

4 years ago

Re: Need advise whether Alto or Tenor to begin.

The best thing I can tell you to do is to spend a lot of time listening to alto and tenor music.  These are very different horns in how they voice, and the thing that matters most is which horn speaks to you the most.  So spend some time listening to older and newer saxophone musicians, and decide which sound you like the best.  Do not let price determine what you play.
    Then most of all, find a music teacher and take some lessens!!!  These are not intuitive instruments.  You will need help getting started correctly.  If you are not committed to lessons, please save your money.

Good luck! 

Reply To Post

2. by Septic
    (2 posts)

3 years ago

Re: Need advise whether Alto or Tenor to begin.

Watch as many videos as you can, relating to the musical genres you prefer... You'll get a better idea of what tonal range you're looking for... It's a very personal choice..

Reply To Post